Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya Forum,

Been absent from here since I stepped away from my CX for more time than I imagined. My girl has been totaled, stolen and recovered so she's ready for some new life. Now that I have time I can hunker down and slap together the city blaster I envisioned 6 years ago after obtaining one of these beauts.

I've made some decent progress the last few weeks so wanted to share and get some feedback as well.

My Norman Hyde M Bars were toast after I laid her down years ago so put on some low rise bars.

Decided to take the tank down to bare steel and leave the bruises. I ordered some blue flake from RothMetalFlake to spray over then clear coat.
Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.39.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.40.13 PM.png
I used to rock the bike with no gauges but decided to put them back on for tuning and to close up some of the space at the front of the bike since the headlight I have sticks out a bit. Trimmed up the front fender as well. My original fork tubes were bent from the accident so I cleaned up a pair obtained from a forum member. New seals and some pain where all she needed. No bench vice so a c clamp and some rags did the trick.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.40.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.40.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.40.58 PM.png


60878277816__679ACE05-72D9-4867-A27D-F207AE7A00C0 2.JPG 60885619220__63F99DCB-C6D7-4DCE-AA8C-842F83E9F0EC.JPG

The og tach cable was cut so I moved the rad and fan to access the hold down screw. COULD NOT get that MFer off. Didn't have small enough vice grips. Used an impact driver with some adapters and a long 1/4" extension with a Phillips #2 bit and was able to sneak in from the bottom side and access the screw. A few whacks and she came loose. Fan showed some light cracks so I swapped it out with the one from the parts bike.

Murray set me up with his carb kit so removed the airbox to get ready for his set up to go along with a 2-1 I picked up years ago from a forum member via trade. I had the hardest time getting that damn airbox out even after trying to cut it out and prying on it. No wonder they say the bike was built around it.

Had a cherry bomb welded on at the local muffler shop and originally painted it with some Old Ford Blue engine paint. Wrapped pipes with some grey fiberglass. I also have a Deluxe tank that I did some bondo work on that I'm thinking of painting and using so after welding up the muffler bracket I went over the blue with some black engine paint. If I swap tanks it should still look good. Before installing the new exhaust gaskets and mounting on, I changed oil filter and filled her up with some Rotella.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.41.28 PM.png

Picked up some cheap eBay seat that actually surprised the heck out of me. Looks way better than I thought it would. Mocked it up along with the exhaust.
Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.42.04 PM.png

Cut the back portion of the frame and my uncle welded a cross member. I recycled the mounting bracket that comes on the stock seat to use as the cross member.

Used the front fender from the parts bike and trimmed it up and mounted it up on the cross member. Bolted in the seat as well. Fitment isn't the best so I'm thinking of putting a heat gun to the plastic pan and will see if it will form fit the frame a little better. For now it'll work. Mocked up the tail light.

Yesterday was a big day as I fired her up for the first time with Murray's Carbs and the exhaust mounted. She sounds F'n mean. Tach wasn't working so I put a small sliver of a soda can around tach cable to use as a shim. Seems to work ok.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 2.49.25 PM.png


Next on the list is to figure out what to do with the big AGM battery and then proceed with the wiring. Don't know if I wanna drop the cheese on a lithium battery and new R/R since that would be about $250. Also, dealing with the DMV for a bike that hasn't had papers for a few years is going to be a pain. Especially during our current Covid situation.

Well that's how she sits right now. Hopefully she'll be buttoned up and ready for the street (legally) in a few weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for some feedback here. So I was cleaning out my car and found this lunch box that I keep cassette tapes in. Turns out it can fit the AGM battery I have inside. I'm leaning towards using this as a temp until I can afford the Lithium and R/R set up in the H Box spot. Due to the 2-1 pipes I can't fit the AGM there without it sticking out the side of the frame near the shifter.

Thinking about it, I have an old Dodgers lunchbox at my office. Ill grab that soon and post a pic.

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 7.47.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 7.47.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 7.47.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 7.46.56 PM.png
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top