Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done quite a bit of research and found many useful tidbits for my recently purchased cx.

Now, the question..... Can I swap out a CX500C swingarm for a GL500 monoshock one? I would be simply placing the swingarm (and possible shaft) and adding the necessary welds to mount the monoshock. The CX is an 82 and the donor arm is from a 82 GL. I have read quite a bit but seem to only come up with GL650 swingarms or complete one off side mounts. I want to remove the subframe from my CX. Bought the bike for $500 and it only has 6K miles on it so buying a GL and modifying it really isn't an option. Just looking for the straight nuts and bolts on whether anyone has done this or whether I am heading in the wrong direction. Everything I have read seems to say that it is possible but I can't find anything diffinitive. Any and all help would be appreciated. I will try to post some pics and status as I go.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess i was looking to know if i used the cx final output drive and tire but put the gl swingarm and prolink in, if it would match up with all the drive conections.....assuming i use the drive that is the same length as the swingarm. Saw some attempts but they were never the same year bikes or the issues they had never got fully answered. Ex: drive line from cx to short for gl swingarm..... did they try a gl drive or do the connections differ that much.

May just have to buy the swingarm,drive and 929rr shock and waste some time

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
The cx final drive and tire is the same except for the fact that it has a post to hook a shock too.

I'm sure your swap is possible with a welder and tools.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for anyone curious.... things have been moving right along.... until the brick wall. It seems that the male nipple on the gl swingarm is about .08" bigger than the CX nipple.... and the bearings look to be different sizes as well or I would just swap them out. The bolt that feeds into the other side is also not the right size and is causing me a headache. Not sure of any work around as of yet.... if there is even one to be had.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.That is besides "start over"......

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will be pulling bearings out of both again and measuring them to make sure they can't be swapped. Not sure why I didn't check that in the first place. May be able to sleeve the bolt side to fit the larger bearing but not sure what to do on the nipple side short of taking it to the shop and trying to fit it on my mill at work. (I'm sure the boss would love that one)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
will be pulling bearings out of both again and measuring them to make sure they can't be swapped. Not sure why I didn't check that in the first place. May be able to sleeve the bolt side to fit the larger bearing but not sure what to do on the nipple side short of taking it to the shop and trying to fit it on my mill at work. (I'm sure the boss would love that one)
Check out this monoshock conversion: http://rocket-garage.blogspot.com/2011/05/cx-monoshock.html

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be moving my questions to the tech forum as I think I started this in the wrong section. I will bring it back to this section when I have either tried and failed and come up with some other swingarm option or with pics and answers for all the pain in the *ss problems that I have encountered.

Thanks for the views and support.

Matt

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,598 Posts
It is possible, but it's more work than you want to do. I've done this conversion on my CX500. The swingarm has to be heavily modified, the right pivot needs to be cut off and the pivot from the CX500 welded in place for starters. The driveshaft will be custom - the front half of a CX500 driveshaft and the rear part of the GL500 driveshaft must be mated together. This makes the wheelbase several inches longer. I also cut off the CX500 swingarm and brake mounts and welded on the GL500 parts from the frame, to make the brake mounting work easier, but that's not necessary. You can get by just welding on a mount for the bottom of the shock. You'll also of course have to weld on an upper shock mount as well. This is not an easy mod. If you want an easy monoshock mod, look on eBay for "cx500 cafe racer bobber kit". It's the cheapest, easiest way to get a monoshock on a CX500.

Charles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info, I bought a Gl500 parts bike in mint condition and I was in your shoes to think just swap the swingarm and weld the top mono shock to the cx frame then enjoy the upgrade. But much harder than I though. I upgraded the full front end to the gl and various other pieces but I guess that part will remain collecting dust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts