Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere in this forun I read that silicate free antifreeze was not compatable with brass. The thought just occured to me that I have been using that stuff in my liquid cooled Honda mower for years without any problems whatsoever and it has a brass radiator too. I haven't seen any signs of corrosion so with that evidence I have concluded that this stuff is safe for my bike. In fact I have never replaced a water pump or even a seal.I do use Prestone's antifreeze conditioner (name ??) and it has a polymer lubricant in it that saves pump seals. Been using that for many years too.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I think the school of thought was that the silicates would erode the water pump seals. I don't think that this has ever been proven, and there are some that say it doesn't hurt a thing. But, I just play it safe and use non-silicate antifreeze and not worry about it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Since we've got the radiator off, and since we don't know what the PO had in there (could even be a mix) I just picked up some of the actual Honda cycle coolant and it still has that long explanation on the back about silicates and pump seals. Going to do a complete flush and fill including removing those cylinder bolts before it's back on the road.

It really didn't cost but a couple of $$ more than if I had gone with anything else decent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.