Honda CX 500 Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,292 Posts
One on the end is what Honda used.

I buy those o-rings 50 at a time on eBay because they are the same as on the thermostat water pipes and my GoldWing uses them too. The last couple of times I put one on the end and one between the ribs just in case because they cost me about 10 cents each but the next time I want to see if I can get one of the tapered seals the 650 engines use.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,059 Posts
I suspect Honda switched to the square-profile ring because it tends to roll less, so easier to install.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Back to it. Bike has been sitting since last post. Rad was off, sealed, and sat filled with radiator flush. Today I reread this thread, and Sidecar Bob's 3/17/07 cooling system comments. I emptied the radiator and reassembled the cooling system components. I put 1.6 L of Peak antifreeze/coolant (pre-diluted with 50% water) into the radiator and 0.4 L into the overflow tank. I plan to let it sit overnight to check for leaks and to let the coolant find the nooks and crannies.

Since this is my first time, I expect I'll have to redo something. I would like comments and suggestions before moving forward. One specific question: how high do you fill the radiator? Right now the coolant is about an inch deep, about 3/4” from the rim. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Can someone direct me to a post that describes reassembly of the cooling system and what needs to be done before trying to start the bike? FSM doesn't give much detail and a search of the site didn't turn up such a post. Thanks

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,059 Posts
FSM doesn't give much detail...
Just to clarify, Bob is referring to the Honda service manual, not a Haynes or Clymer. Those aftermarket books are rather generic regarding common systems.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts