Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my 82 GL500i and one of the first things I noticed is that it seems to stand almost straight up when on the sidestand, is there any way to shorten the sidestand safely? I'd like the bike to lean over a little bit when on the sidestand.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
if you can adjust it slightly forward this will lean it over... if it's bent, bending it back might be the way. Mine Leans too far

·
Registered
226 Posts
How much wear is on the rubber for the stand? My 650 went from straightish, to (after I accidentally ripped off part of the rubber) being less straight

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Cut and weld to the perfect size. Best solution is to put a pipe/rod inside one segment of the kickstand and drill ha hole for a bolt on the other side. Then you could have a few light adjustments if you need them.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Is it possible the forks and/or rear shock have bottomed out? This would cause the bike to sit lower and may result in what you are seeing.

In most cases the bike leans over too far.

If you really want to shorten the sidestand, consider replacing it with one from a GL650/I. It's a direct bolt-on replacement and is an inch or two shorter than the GL500 sidestand.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Dave, that is great information on the different side stand lengths. So, conversely, if your GL650 leans over too much, try getting a side stand from a GL500I.

And 82GL, welcome to the forum from a close neighbor. If I can help with anything, let me know. And Rickbert is just over in Sweet Springs, but he is talking turncoat trash and may go to the dark side.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
My side stand was too far over on my,"Bitsa" CX500.No bend in the stand just a seemingly shorter stand.I brazed a piece of 1/4" mild steel onto the bottom and ground it nice.

Note:I rarely use my side-stands.I prefer to put the bikes on the centre stand for safety.

Easy way,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=212

HTH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave, that is great information on the different side stand lengths. So, conversely, if your GL650 leans over too much, try getting a side stand from a GL500I.

And 82GL, welcome to the forum from a close neighbor. If I can help with anything, let me know. And Rickbert is just over in Sweet Springs, but he is talking turncoat trash and may go to the dark side.

Wow small world, I grew up in sweet springs and have alot of family who still live there lol.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i lowered my bike quite a bit and had the same sidestand issue. the quick and dirty fix is to heat the stand with a torch, pick a straight section of the stand and bend it inward with a wedge and a hammer. a few hits on that lowered the lean enough to where the bike wouldn't stand straight up.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Also, be sure to inspect the area under the frame where it mounts, sometimes problems develop there as well but as many have mentioned most have a problem with it leaning too much. Fortunately mine seems to be right on the money although, even following the instructions, getting it on the center stand has always been a problem for me.

Regardless having two stand options is better than some of the dirt bikes I've owned that had no stands at all, you had to use a nearby tree to lean it against.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Check your fork tube position in the triple tree. If a previous owner was short and lowered the front end on the fork tubes, one result is a slightly lower bike, another is less lean angle when on the center stand. Yet another is more difficulty getting it up on the center stand. Them pesky short people.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Yet another is more difficulty getting it up.....................
i think as the weather warms up abit Rich,it,l be ok

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check your fork tube position in the triple tree. If a previous owner was short and lowered the front end on the fork tubes, one result is a slightly lower bike, another is less lean angle when on the center stand. Yet another is more difficulty getting it up on the center stand. Them pesky short people.

I'm wondering if it has been lowered, I am only 5'5 and the bike fits me pretty well, I can't plant my feet flat on the ground but I'm pretty close to being able to. When I was looking at it a few friends said the seat height might be too tall for me but when I test rode it the seat height is pretty close to what I need. Only problem is putting it on the side stand I have to get off the bike on the opposite side lol.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm wondering if it has been lowered, I am only 5'5 and the bike fits me pretty well, I can't plant my feet flat on the ground but I'm pretty close to being able to. When I was looking at it a few friends said the seat height might be too tall for me but when I test rode it the seat height is pretty close to what I need. Only problem is putting it on the side stand I have to get off the bike on the opposite side lol.
have you not got a foot hook,you should be able to put your side stand down while sat on the bike

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I do have a hook, I just can't climb off the bike comfortably on the left side when it's on the side stand.
ok,i understand

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok,i understand

Yeah it's the only thing I've found about the bike I do not like. I started out on a shadow spirit 750 and then bought a Harley sportster. After about a year I lost my job and had to sell the sportster but got lucky enough to get about $1000 more than payoff for it, and I found my 82 gl500i on craigslist, drove the 3 hours to see it and bought it on the spot.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Yeah it's the only thing I've found about the bike I do not like. I started out on a shadow spirit 750 and then bought a Harley sportster. After about a year I lost my job and had to sell the sportster but got lucky enough to get about $1000 more than payoff for it, and I found my 82 gl500i on craigslist, drove the 3 hours to see it and bought it on the spot.
not that you need to explain.......

in the last 24 hours.......iv heard 2 things i havnt heard in the 3 years iv been a member....

your issue,not being able to lay the bike to the left and peel off....

and..

a bike not leaning over enough....on the side stand,its too upright....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts