Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using the side stand on my 650E, it feels like the bike leans too far over. Compared to my other bikes, it seems like the bike is going to go right over when I set it down. It feels sturdy (I've tried to push it over and it seems solid)

I was hoping someone could snap a rear picture of the lean of their bike on the side stand for comparison.

I did some searching, but only found complaints of the bikes not leaning enough.

My side stand also moves side to side quite a bit, so I might try to stick a washer in between to snug up the connection.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Looking at your pictures next to this one, mine doesn't seem too bad after all. Thanks

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Seeing your plates just reminds me of having an awesome time in Halifax..........damn it was fun going to the Seahorse on Thursday nights or The Lower Deck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the same feelings about it. Probably why I keep coming back. I've moved away 7 times over the years, and keep ending up back in Halifax.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have the same side to side movement and put a washer in. Every time i put it on its side stand I hesitate. Can't push it over, just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

Looking at your pictures next to this one, mine doesn't seem too bad after all. Thanks

EDIT***** Looks like the first bike is leaning more.

The first pic the chair pillar is a great vertical reference. The second pic the pipe is a good one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I felt that it leaned too far over too , but its sturdy, The only thing is that you get used to that feeling of how far over it goes on the kickstand , and if the stand isnt all the way out its easy to drop the bike (in my driveway) . I end up putting it on the centre stand almost all the time except when like at a parking lot .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's a good idea. I do tend to use the center stand, especially because the wire helper on the kickstand is broken off, so it's a pain to use.

I have been gaining more and more confidence with the side-stand now that I have been using it a bit more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When using the side stand on my 650E, it feels like the bike leans too far over. Compared to my other bikes, it seems like the bike is going to go right over when I set it down. It feels sturdy (I've tried to push it over and it seems solid)

I was hoping someone could snap a rear picture of the lean of their bike on the side stand for comparison.

I did some searching, but only found complaints of the bikes not leaning enough.

My side stand also moves side to side quite a bit, so I might try to stick a washer in between to snug up the connection.

Thanks
We are dealing with the same problem on a CX 650 turbo which I believe has an identical Pro Link rear suspension.
After comparing it with an identical bike it seams the rear suspension decompresses excessively raising the bike and causing the excessive lean on the center stand.
Suspect an issue with the rear shock. Standby while we disassemble and investigate.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Did you notice that you were replying to a thread from 2013? Perhaps you should start your own thread where you can detail your findings.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
Also, excessive side play in the sidestand (an indicator of wear to the frame tab or pivot hole) will allow the bike to lean too tar and larger than stock tires can contribute as well.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Is there any perceived differences is side stand angle for bikes in different markets?
e.g. . with road camber will a USA market bike lean more/less in the UK.....

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
I don't think so. Parking lots, driveways and garage/shed floors tend not to have a lot of camber.

But it did seem that a lot of Japanese bikes in the '70s & '80s came with side stands that made the bikes sit so upright they were in danger of falling to the right in a stiff breeze.
The one on my '78 Suzuki was particularly poorly designed; Not only was the bike too close to vertical but the piece of straight tubing it had for a stand was close enough to vertical and had such a small foot that it went straight into any surface softer than concrete. I replaced it with one from a different model that was much better designed and no longer had to fear using it.
Come to think of it, I heated up the GL1100's cast sidestand and put an S bend in it so the bike had a more reasonable lean angle too.

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts
Some stands are just crap but lean angle can be influenced by where the front wheel is pointed. Point the steering to the left and the bike leans further left and vice versa.

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts
Maybe not, but just pointing it out.

Strangely, some people have never learned this and it can be the difference between your bike falling over or not.

Anyway ..... what do you know about stands? {insert absolutely pathetic site emoji} :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Some stands are just crap but lean angle can be influenced by where the front wheel is pointed. Point the steering to the left and the bike leans further left and vice versa.
Yes fully agree especially if parking on the road......(with camber)
Edit:
My (previous) K100RS would lean at a major angle (which was good to drain water from the top of the engine, it actually had a drain/funnel hole for this......) this bike was really dependant on the direction of the front wheel for stability when parked....My Cb750 is close to vertical on the prop-stand and rarely used 'cause of this......

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts

This starts near me though I pretty much live on the flat.

Had a customer at the top on the left when I had the irrigation business. One of our vans was down to first to get to the top.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts