Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 79 and 80 pair of customs and they both have this same problem. When parking just using the kick stand they lean over so far that it seems as they will fall on their left side. I am 6'1 and my girlfriend is 5'10 so I have the rear shocks on both set to their tallest setting. Any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Hello, I have a 79 and 80 pair of customs and they both have this same problem. When parking just using the kick stand they lean over so far that it seems as they will fall on their left side. I am 6'1 and my girlfriend is 5'10 so I have the rear shocks on both set to their tallest setting. Any help would be great.

The best answer is custom length. that is if your kick stand tang isn't bent way out. If it is then you should straighten it to a more appropriate angle. Then if that isn't enough you will want to extend the length of the kickstand.

The best method I have thought up is to cut the kickstand in the middle and place a piece of rod inside to get the correct height. If you can try to find a matching outside diameter pipe to the kickstand and weld that in too.

Another method I thought of is to cut the stand and weld a nut to one side and a section of threaded rod to the other side. Then you can fine tune the height up and down.

Also remember there is an accepted honda angle so the bike won't blow over and damage itself.

I also jack up my shocks all the way. I like the height but the kickstand sucks. I use my centerstand most of the time.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
i like that link that was posted. the adjustable pad is a little cheesy but its overall a pretty clean look

I have also seen the pads made of aluminum or that white plastic/nylon.

My bike leaned over too far when I got it and I found the bracket on the frame the side stand mounted to was bent. I used "big hammer engineering" to bend it back and my bike stands up much better now.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I had the same problem with my 650 when I got it. It just looked like it wanted to fall over on the side stand. I blocked up the side stand with wooden blocks to what I thought was the proper angle and measured the height of the blocks. Then removed the stand, (damn exhaust in the way), and cut the center of the stand pipe. I had some rod just the right diameter to slide inside the old stand pipe and measured how far in it went, then cut the rod so that it extended the stand about 1-1/8". Welded it in after making sure the foot would be properly oriented when extended and retracted. Painted it up and was good to go. Except--- I had added so much length to the stand that it will not retract unless the center stand is retracted first. Not a major deal, but something to watch out for.

In retrospect, I made mine a little longer than necessary, it works OK, but a little shorter would have worked better. Make sure you lube the stand pivot when installing, the reason these go bad is that the holes become elongated from lack of lube and allow the stand to pivot too far.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions. I am going to try the "pad mount" link first. Great site buy the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.