Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Side Cover

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DavidfromWisconsin 
#1 ·
One of my side covers on the GL650 has 2 broken tabs and I don't have them. Since there is only one holding it, I'm afraid it might blow off on the road.

Has anyone figured out a really creative, innovative way to epoxy something on there to make it work or should I be looking for another side cover? I know if there is any way to salvage it, someone on this forum will know about it.

#2 ·
Yeah someone did a fix like that last year. I think they used plastifix. But they molded and shaped a replacement that was then attached.

#4 ·
Sounds like GL650 side covers are like GL500's -- always missing at least one peg

#5 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if it might not be a good idea to reinforce what we've got if we still have all of ours.

Wouldn't need Plastifix, just a nice layer of epoxy strategically placed might be sufficient.

Seems to me that if I had to fix one with a totally missing peg I'd find a socket head cap screw of the proper size and epoxy that on there? You would probably have to grind down the remaining stub to get a flat place but it sounds feasible to me.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/products/HexCapScrew.jpg

#6 ·
On that note I think or thought I read in a post that someone used a bullet stud and it worked just fine. Cant remember the size but it's the right shape.

#8 ·
Is Plastifix readily available or will I have to order it?

It's usually somewhat hard to find unless you've got a huge hobby shop that might have it. You might try calling some of the wholesale plastics suppliers in your area, the solvent involved is fairly nasty stuff so they don't like selling it to the public. All it really is is Weld-On #4 plastic welding solvent and a bottle of fine Plexiglas or lexan dust, both of which you could also get from a wholesale plastics house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.