Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda GL500 Interstate
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new owner of a 1982 GL500 Interstate. Just getting familiar with the bike, does not have an owner's manual. I want to take off the side covers, but I don't want to break anything. Do they just pop off (plastic pin into a rubber grommet)? Also, how do I remove the seat and trunk/tail section? Thanks in advance....

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,259 Posts
If all the tabs are there, you'll pull straight out at the front where it attaches to the fuel tank, near the lowest point along the bottom, and near the tail. Then, slide it forward.
Each saddlebag is secured by the left or right helmet lock lever. You'll also need to release the seatbelt type clasp. To remove the passenger seat or trunk, lift both levers to vertical.

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
Yes, one each side.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,692 Posts
I've attached the GL500 Owner's Manual for you.

BTW: Once you get the side cover off it's a good idea to fed the rubber in the grommets that hold it on by rubbing a dab of silicone grease into them every few years to help keep the rubber from hardening. When it is just right it shouldn't feel like you are going to break the posts taking the cover off and putting it back but it should be secure enough that the wind can't pop it off either.

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 Honda GL500 Interstate
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much! The grommets were in very good condition, but I will go ahead and grease them a little bit. Thanks for the attachment (owner's manual)!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I like to pull the bottom tab first on difficult covers because I can get better finger support in that area to pull straight. Then I can get behind the front tab better to support that. I use a small amount of silicone aerosol for lube, if the tab seems not to hold well enough after, clean it some.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls
1 - 12 of 12 Posts