Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a CX 500 custom with a very cracked left side cover held on with zip ties. If I don't care about stock looks, do I need to limit my search to CX Custom covers, or will CX Deluxe or some GL's fit?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Standard CX or Deluxe will fit,,I don't think the GL will.

·
Registered
313 Posts
sevesteen, pop up a picture of yours so we can match the color... just in case..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sevesteen, pop up a picture of yours so we can match the color... just in case..

I'm not hugely concerned with color at this point-would be nice to get matching but not critical--If I ever get concerned, other parts will also need paint. I was talking to another member about a replacement for my bent shift lever, the main part I need. He discovered some covers as a secondary item. His are missing some raised letter logos and are more angular, but I can't tell if the shape is too different ti fit the frame. He isn't sure what model they are from.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
That side cover will fit.

The shifter is another part that is different between models, if you need a shifter for a custom, it will have to be from a custom,one off of a 78 will not work and I don't think one from a Deluxe will either,not sure if a GL one will.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've got a couple cx500 custom sets and a blue LH

also an early cx500 standard (deluxe) set

Lined up side to side the upper tabs line up,

... the lower tab is flush with the edge on the standard,

and 5/8 raised away from the edge on the custom covers, but the lower edge is notched, I believe for the frame (...?).

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
He discovered some covers as a secondary item. His are missing some raised letter logos and are more angular, but I can't tell if the shape is too different ti fit the frame. He isn't sure what model they are from.

The ones in the lower picture came off of an original 1978 but will fit. I've got a set of them in excellent condition and mine still have the fancy CX 500 emblems on them with the underline that includes a V. That flat blank area used to have a warning label about what kind of antifreeze to use and the label is still available from places like CB Decals: http://www.afegraphics.com/reproset.htm?reprodec.htm&2 where you can buy any or every single decal most models of the the bikes came with but they don't have 100% of the patterns yet.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The ones in the lower picture came off of an original 1978 but will fit.

I think when they have the stripes on them like that one has they are off of a Deluxe.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Well, i just went by what the Bay seller said they were from. I really liked the looks of th emblems and was going to use them until I got into the "restore it as close to original as possible" decision.

If anyone needs a set they're for sale, the ones for the Deluxe had a Deluxe emblem on the, these look like this:

but they're blue and in almost perfect shape except for having one post broken, nothing that a little creativity with Plasti-Fix and a bolt wouldn't cure:

·
Super Moderator
23,838 Posts
If you use that type on a custom [as outlined above they will fit] you will probably have to modify or remove the tool tray/handbook holder under the right cover.

I tried dropping a couple of these onto my custom to see what they looked like recently and found this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
sevesteen, if you want the LH custom cover (single blue one in the bottom of the first pic), Let me know... $20 shipped usps US.

No worries if your interested in others...

If anyone wants any of the other sets, $40 shipped usps US...

p.m. or email

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.