Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my bike the graphics had been striped from the tank and side covers. I've been wanting to put them back on but have not wanted to spend the $$ to buy the decals.

I draw, program, and run a CNC plasma cutter. Tonight I got the idea to make something for myself.

What do you think about this on both side covers in stainless steel? I'm not sure how I'm going to attach it yet.... Any ideas? I might cut it tomorrow.

·
Registered
264 Posts
the "0"s are a bit different and a bit too thick for the rest of the emblem. easy enough to fix in cad if that's what you're using. other than that, looks good. you can use a thin double sided tape to hold them on. you can do it that way or machine in a few small screw holes for machine screws to hold them on kind of like the tank badges.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the "0"s are a bit different and a bit too thick for the rest of the emblem. easy enough to fix in cad if that's what you're using. other than that, looks good. you can use a thin double sided tape to hold them on. you can do it that way or machine in a few small screw holes for machine screws to hold them on kind of like the tank badges.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah.....I worked on the 00's and had trouble getting them to look like what I wanted. (worked on it late)......Yes they're in CAD......and I'll rework them before I cut....

Thanks for the idea of the double sided tape! I was thinking about the screws........but tape hadn't came to me

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I think they will look great in stainless. What type of stainless are you cutting it from (18 AWG sheet, food grade, thicker stock?) as you may have to put a bit of a curve in it to have it lay flush with the tank and side covers (depending on actual size). If you are going to put them on a "finished tank" you might consider using glue (some form of cyanoacrylate, like locktight 454 gell or some other "crazyglue" type). cant wait to see then when they are cut

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they will look great in stainless. What type of stainless are you cutting it from (18 AWG sheet, food grade, thicker stock?) as you may have to put a bit of a curve in it to have it lay flush with the tank and side covers (depending on actual size). If you are going to put them on a "finished tank" you might consider using glue (some form of cyanoacrylate, like locktight 454 gell or some other "crazyglue" type). cant wait to see then when they are cut

Thanks for the kind words and useful info!

I'm not sure what I'll cut it out of......Probably out of a few scraps in the scrap bin (what's in there is anyones guess.....) Suggestions for best resistance to the elements? I do like the 18 AWG thickness. I do have a microwave that appears to have a stainless cover.... I might have a microwave without a cover! LoL I'll check it out an make sure it's not an easy fix before though.

Crazyglue sounds good to attach them....

I'm going to try to find an auto body shop, probably during the off riding season, that might be able to "include" my tank when they're shooting clear. I could use a rattle can but I really want the clear fuel resistant.

I'll post some pics when I get them cut.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah.....I worked on the 00's and had trouble getting them to look like what I wanted. (worked on it late)......Yes they're in CAD......and I'll rework them before I cut....

Thanks for the idea of the double sided tape! I was thinking about the screws........but tape hadn't came to me

i'm a graphic designer... the little things make all the difference and always drive me crazy. this is a great idea though. you should cut a few extras... i'm sure there are a few people on her that wouldn't mind getting a set.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm a graphic designer... the little things make all the difference and always drive me crazy. this is a great idea though. you should cut a few extras... i'm sure there are a few people on her that wouldn't mind getting a set.

Would you like to take a crack at cleaning it up? I'm not a graphic designer and it's a weak point of mine........

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, any stainless would be ok, and I guess it depends on what the shop does as to what type they have. Series 300 is made using chrome and nickel. 304 is common grade and used for a lot of stuff, while food grade (316, used for kitched hoods in restaurants, surgical, and also known as marine grade) has the best corrosion resistance. Series 400 is used in automotive and decoritive.

If you know what the shop makes, its usually not to hard to figure out what type they use, at least to the series type. All of the stainless i use is 316, since I work with a hood installer and he buys it by the sheet

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, any stainless would be ok, and I guess it depends on what the shop does as to what type they have. Series 300 is made using chrome and nickel. 304 is common grade and used for a lot of stuff, while food grade (316, used for kitched hoods in restaurants, surgical, and also known as marine grade) has the best corrosion resistance. Series 400 is used in automotive and decoritive.

If you know what the shop makes, its usually not to hard to figure out what type they use, at least to the series type. All of the stainless i use is 316, since I work with a hood installer and he buys it by the sheet

The shop is a general welding/fab/repair and small to medum production. They can do all typs of welding.

I haven't asked the owner what he buys.

I might be able to get a few scraps ......

Thanks for the stainless lesson!

The hoods....??? are they vent hoods and such?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
The hoods are large commercial kitchen hoods that go over the cooking appliances for venting to the outside (usually 4ft deep by as long as needed ). Well for what you are using it for, any scrap is a good scrap
If he lets you take some, grab what you can lol stainless isnt cheap, for a 4' x 10' sheet of 316 here ist about $400.00

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
The only thing I dont really like about double sided tape is it degrades over time. I am sure 3M probabaly makes a good one for such a use but I would wager its a bit pricey. A bit of "crazy glue" or "construction adhesive" will keep it on for a long long time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts