Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you post a picture of your bike with your trunk

does it affect the ride? looking to buy one...

need a luggage rack first...

i like these but just seems to big for the bike

might look for something alittle smaller...

any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Not to discourage you but the bottom saddlebags are junk. Just plastic junk. I hope you didn't pay much. I bought a similar set for $34 new from a guy who must have bought a truck of them. The only plus was I made $10 selling them after seeing how bad the hinges were.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to discourage you but the bottom saddlebags are junk. Just plastic junk. I hope you didn't pay much. I bought a similar set for $34 new from a guy who must have bought a truck of them. The only plus was I made $10 selling them after seeing how bad the hinges were.

No they were cheap... like $90 with shipping.

At this point anything is better than having a black bag bungeed down to the back seat:)

And they lock, so I'm happy

I'm a master with my hands and working on things so if it breaks i'll fix it:)

But thanks for the heads up!

check JonRitz's bike out:

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/6506-my-bike-as-it-stands-today/

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was a "luggage junkie" for many years. Not so much, any more.

Saddlebags and trunks are invaluable when you have a lot to take along with you. That part is no problem. There were / are some models that added really great capacity to your bike.

I don´t know about American brands. In Europe we had Denfeld, Krauser, Hepco & Becker (all German), NONFANGO and GIVI (Italian), Rickman (UK), to name only a few. With the correct mounting hardware all of these are strong and steady. I´ve got a set of NONFANGO and two sets of Krauser K2. I absolutely love them!

But - they add something that´s very negative. Weight distribution is affected, so you can get front wheel wobble. Happens even on big bikes (I had it with a large trunk on my previoys ST 1100). Fine without trunk. But it was the largest Hepco & Becker I had, so both large and heavy (loaded).

There are also stickers inside telling you not to exceed 120 (or maybe 130) kph with the luggage fitted to the bike. Not without reason! Aerodynamics will be affected too. Not to mention strong sidewinds!

Once I made a (stupid) full speed test on one of my CX-es, the day before I set off for a 19 day trip abroad. Everything loaded on the bike, including a large windscreen.

Let´s say the stickers aren´t there for fun! I was very close to losing the bike at full speed (160 kph indicated). Not anything I´ll try again!!

Normally I ride with just an intermediate size trunk (as seen on my avatar). Enough for most trips. The saddlebags come on only when needed. Best is nothing at all (or bungied down in a plastic bag). It won´t affect anything. And bikes were never designed to have these huge accessories - aftermarket manufacturers saw the need. Yes - things have changed recently. Now we have some touring bikes with everything on from the beginning. Probably better designed nowadays.

"My" old, very experienced Honda mech uses to say, when he has a brand new bike on his lift to fit accessory luggage. "First they pay a lot of money for a perfectly good motorcycle. Then they pay even more to destroy it!".

Sture

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I ride a GL500 with the large trunk and a set of textile saddle bags. I haven't really noticed a difference in the ride or my gas mileage.

Also, I have a luggage rack that I believe will fit your bike as well as two trunks if you are interested.

·
Registered
409 Posts
ciggs,

I have the same type of topbox as sture (see my avitar)(only used on day trips not long trips), great for everyday stuff,backpacks etc but on longer trips I have throw over saddle bags that expand huge if need be. I find for stability try and keep the weight over the back wheel not over the edge,makes a difference to me.

But now that Im getting close to completion on the gl500i (that's i for intelligence or the i bike) I will hopefully have enough space to carry everything I need within the gl luggage.

·
Registered
977 Posts
But - they add something that´s very negative. Weight distribution is affected, so you can get front wheel wobble. Happens even on big bikes (I had it with a large trunk on my previoys ST 1100). Fine without trunk. But it was the largest Hepco & Becker I had, so both large and heavy (loaded).

I went through Canada on my 1967 Yamaha YR1 350 and I tested it out fully loaded before I left. I got a serious front wheel wobble that really got my attention. I took my sleeping roll that was about 2 feet wide and maybe 12 inches in diameter and used bungee cords to fasten it to my front forks up tight to the bottom of the headlight and it cured the problem.

It was funny in Canada as when I would stop for gas the guys would come out to look at the bike and remarked how the engine looked just like their snowmobile. I told them that it was. lol

I ran into a lot of great folk up there. Billrod

p.s. I have the honda large trunk on my GL500 and all I have in there is my rain gear and sunglasses and gloves. I can even get a gallon of milk in there if I really have to. It does not hold as much as you would think.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I didn't shoot for the trunk option but i got a full 7 peice bag set and a 3900 CuLiter Camping backback that I absolutely love and I can carry a ton more in it. Plus I got it rigged to get off my bike go hiking and drop and setup camp thats how I plan to tour
btw that back pack and my best friend is the reason I started to get called "packman" and I'm a long time gamer so I decided well a classic game with a classic bike thus a lengend was born lol a perfect fit! Pacman!
And the last part of that is the codename for the restoration of my CX and my chosen name for the bike is called The Phantom Wing which was ironic because when i put 2 in 2 together well
hey look pacman and the phantoms (ghosts)how epic right? (so those interested thats the story of Pacman)

for anyone interested in getting one Kelty Trekker 3950

also I redid the arrangement and moved the pack to the bottom for a lower center of gravity and contrary to popular belief its actually REALLY comfortable to ride with because it helps keep my back straight and has tons of support.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Just to illustrate the expression "too much"!

These are the larger Krauser K2 saddlebags. 42 litres each. They were designed for bigger bikes, like Yamaha FJ 1200 and Suzuki GSX 1100 F.

The trunk holds 34 litres or so, so altogether you can bring a lot on the bike. But it´s not always fun! Mostly the saddlebags rest still inside the garage. The trunk is nearly always on.

Sture

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here's mine. Mine is the old K&G setup, the little chrome bars on my saddlebags have a trace of rust, but they hold my riding pants on one side, my tools and rain gear on the other, and my helmet and heated vest and gloves in the trunk.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Here's mine. Mine is the old K&G setup, the little chrome bars on my saddlebags have a trace of rust, but they hold my riding pants on one side, my tools and rain gear on the other, and my helmet and heated vest and gloves in the trunk.

Mike

I like that seat and backrest!! Where did you get them?

Also the floorboards. Where from?

·
Registered
377 Posts
The seat is a Harley Wide Glide seat - there is a post in the sticky thread at the top of this forum with more info about that, a few other folks have done that mod.

The backrest is a K&G backrest, can slide forward for the driver. They rarely come up on ebay, and bolt right onto the K&G luggage rack.

The floorboards are MC enterprises, I think they were made for a GL500 I think, and required a very small amount of welding to get the right side to bolt up. I got my set off the forum here - I've only seen one other set come up, they are not very common.

Mike

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
As promised - a couple of pictures with all the luggage on.

These saddlebags are rather worn - they had white lids when I got them and were in sad condition. I sprayed them with a rattle can. And I was never careful with them so a lot of the paint is worn off, by now. Just need another rattle can....

As I probably told before, I don´t use these at all, except when I need to bring a lot. I have a set of the same model Krauser saddlebags, but in normal size. And in nice condition. They don´t look as extreme as these do. The CX isn´t a big motorcycle.

Sture

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
For whatever it's worth... since there's been a lot of talk about how much luggage to take, and how much is on the back, and wobble

In the motorcycle safety course it talks about how, for balance, you want to keep most of the weight within the load triangle. That's the head of ther operator for the top point, and the two axles. It doesn't leave much room for what they suggest, and I'm sure you guys were aware of this already.... but nobody has said anything about it- and quite frankly my schedule has been off for a week and will be this way for at least another few weeks... so I'm tired. And this was what crossed my mind while reading. The longer I'm on this forum, and read, and see pictures.... I don't think I'd mind a small tank bag. Between that, my fairing, the saddle bags and my luggage rack I'm putting on I think I'll be good. I don't plan on carrying anything more than ONE change of clothes, my lunchbox on work days and my camera bag during football season.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Dakota,

You´re so right - the ideal siituation is "as little luggage as possible". And distributed, as you say, in the "middle" of the bike.

But - there may be other needs, dictating how you have to load the bike.

If we know what we´re doing, I still think it would be OK, if not ideal, to go to extremes.

9 years or so ago I did a 18 day trip abroad with my then 17 year old son. We (I!) didn´t want to do any laundry underways, so we had 19 days supply of t-shirts, underwear and other stuff, all on board the bike. All in all we had probably around 70 kg overload, compared with allowed max. load.

It felt quite OK, underways, but at low speed, in tight maneuvres, lousy road conditions, etc. it wasn´t easy to handle. Also a couple of high-speed (for a heavily loaded CX) rushes on German Autobahn had me worried about the rear tire temp.

I can´t say everything with that trip was the wisest thing I´ve done. But I tried to minimize risks, as far as possible. And it was a great trip!

There were a couple of close calls, but they were to blame on me alone, not the bike or luggage. We were also hit from behind at a pedestrians crossing / traffic light in Hungary. Nothing I could have helped (without braking the law).

Sture

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.