Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I apologize in advance if I use the incorrect terms here. I will try to state the problem as clearly as I can. I am new to riding as well as the CX500 on which I do it.

I took my bike out for a half-an-hour spin this morning without a hitch. Parked it in the garage and went out for an hour or two with the wife.

I went in to the garage for something else, and noticed a small, half-dollar-sized "puddle" of yellow liquid DIRECTLY below one of those rubber tubes (vent tube? Overflow tube") coming down below the bike. I suspect that this fluid is engine coolant (looks to be the same yellowish colour) - I have not attempted to trace back the tube to its original source.

Is this something to be concerned about? When I bought the bike in March, the mechanic who safetied the bike topped up and checked all of the fluids. Is it possible that he put too much of one in, or am I being too simplistic?
i wouldnt be concerned yet.yes,its probably a bit of coolant,maybe mech.seal,maybe not.put a few miles on your bike,see if it carries on....make sure you check your oil,and the coolant level in the radiator

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
OK - checking the coolant level in the reserve tank is easy: look at the lines.

Checking the oil is Easy: use the dip stick.

Checking the coolant level in the RADIATOR? Do I just unscrew the top and have a look inside? I can't find anything in the manual that covers this one.
PM,with regards as to above posts.i can assure you...put as much confidence in your expansion bottle as you do with governments....zilch

our bikes have a great cooling system.the coolant level,as i said must be checked in the rad.itself.

on my bike,it involves,turn off fuel,remove fuel pipe at carb.remove seat,undo the single bolt that holds the tank in place.slide tank backwards,maybe 3 inches....now you can access your rad cap.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
PM,your coolant is nearly as important as your oil.do not remove your tank,no one said you have to,just slide it back as per my post.its not hard and will give you confidence,,,,write down if you have to,every step,then replace in reverse.

someone will be here to help you 24/7

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.