Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if I use the incorrect terms here. I will try to state the problem as clearly as I can. I am new to riding as well as the CX500 on which I do it.

I took my bike out for a half-an-hour spin this morning without a hitch. Parked it in the garage and went out for an hour or two with the wife.

I went in to the garage for something else, and noticed a small, half-dollar-sized "puddle" of yellow liquid DIRECTLY below one of those rubber tubes (vent tube? Overflow tube") coming down below the bike. I suspect that this fluid is engine coolant (looks to be the same yellowish colour) - I have not attempted to trace back the tube to its original source.

Is this something to be concerned about? When I bought the bike in March, the mechanic who safetied the bike topped up and checked all of the fluids. Is it possible that he put too much of one in, or am I being too simplistic?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I apologize in advance if I use the incorrect terms here. I will try to state the problem as clearly as I can. I am new to riding as well as the CX500 on which I do it.

I took my bike out for a half-an-hour spin this morning without a hitch. Parked it in the garage and went out for an hour or two with the wife.

I went in to the garage for something else, and noticed a small, half-dollar-sized "puddle" of yellow liquid DIRECTLY below one of those rubber tubes (vent tube? Overflow tube") coming down below the bike. I suspect that this fluid is engine coolant (looks to be the same yellowish colour) - I have not attempted to trace back the tube to its original source.

Is this something to be concerned about? When I bought the bike in March, the mechanic who safetied the bike topped up and checked all of the fluids. Is it possible that he put too much of one in, or am I being too simplistic?
i wouldnt be concerned yet.yes,its probably a bit of coolant,maybe mech.seal,maybe not.put a few miles on your bike,see if it carries on....make sure you check your oil,and the coolant level in the radiator

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
You should see some of the stuff my old things puked up after a

good thrashing!

I doubt theres much wrong as long as like Bandit says you check the RADIATOR

not the expansion bottle for coolant levels

As long as that and tho oil level is OK its probably just a bit

of age related incontinence

·
Registered
397 Posts
If it's coming out the tube you don't need to worry. Whoever serviced the bike last time put too much coolant in the expansion bottle. I've done the same thing myself a time or two when I've changed the anti-freeze. The easiest solution is to suck about 6 - 8 ounces of coolant out of the expansion bottle. The coolant level should always be between the maximum and minimum marks on the bottle. If you keep the coolant level between those marks there is never any reason to check the level in the radiator.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is incorrect.

Of course if there is a bad leak, like a hose leaking, or a hole in the radiator, etc, Then you will have to fill the radiator after the repairs are made. In no other case is there a need to remove the radiator cap if the reserve tank is properly connected and maintained.

I quote from the original Honda Owners Manual for the 1983 GL650. I believe the cooling system is essentially the same on the CX.

Inspection

Check coolant level in the reserve tank (1) while the engine is at normal operating temperature. If the coolant level is near the low mark (3), add coolant to the reserve tank up to the Full mark (2) by removing the holding clip (5) and reserve tank cap (4).

If the reserve tank is empty, or if coolant loss is excessive, check for leaks and see your authorized Honda dealer for repair.

Do not remove the radiator cap. [this statement is in bold in the manual.}

WARNING

Never remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot. The coolant is under pressure and severe scalding could result.. [the original is in italics]

End of quotation.

The above obviously assumes that the radiator was properly filled to the brim and capped and that the hose from the radiator to the reserve tank is properly connected and that the overflow tube from the reserve tank is in place. If this is the case the radiator will always be full when the reserve tank is maintained between the upper and lower level. That is, barring an enormous (and obvious) leak in the radiator or a blown hose which would result in the cooling system losing its pressure, and at the same time being unable to create a negative pressure to draw coolant from the reserve tank.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i wouldnt be concerned yet.yes,its probably a bit of coolant,maybe mech.seal,maybe not.put a few miles on your bike,see if it carries on....make sure you check your oil,and the coolant level in the radiator

OK - checking the coolant level in the reserve tank is easy: look at the lines.

Checking the oil is Easy: use the dip stick.

Checking the coolant level in the RADIATOR? Do I just unscrew the top and have a look inside? I can't find anything in the manual that covers this one.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
OK - checking the coolant level in the reserve tank is easy: look at the lines.

Checking the oil is Easy: use the dip stick.

Checking the coolant level in the RADIATOR? Do I just unscrew the top and have a look inside? I can't find anything in the manual that covers this one.
PM,with regards as to above posts.i can assure you...put as much confidence in your expansion bottle as you do with governments....zilch

our bikes have a great cooling system.the coolant level,as i said must be checked in the rad.itself.

on my bike,it involves,turn off fuel,remove fuel pipe at carb.remove seat,undo the single bolt that holds the tank in place.slide tank backwards,maybe 3 inches....now you can access your rad cap.

·
Super Moderator
24,002 Posts
I agree with Bandit, except I remove the fuel line from the tank. That way the fuel in the line doesn't run out and make a mess.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Checking the fluid level in the radiator is a PITA. All of what Bandit said has to be removed on my bike too. You need to be sure you see the coolant is covering the fins inside. I'll top it off to the neck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Checking the fluid level in the radiator is a PITA. All of what Bandit said has to be removed on my bike too. You need to be sure you see the coolant is covering the fins inside. I'll top it off to the neck.

Alright, boys. You've given me my homework - I promise I'll do it.

I'm going to wait until the weather gets warmer. We got hit with a cold/rainy spell lately, and I have no desire to tinker with my bike if all it's going to do is sit in my garage. When I do, however, I will:

- Check the oil (I checked it just for colour today, and it looks like really strong, but not milky, tea)

- Check the air filter

- Check the radiator (I really don't want to have to remove the fuel tank, but I do want a bike that is on the up-and-up) - maybe I'll wait, as was said in a previous post, after a few more miles for this one.

Thanks for all of the help.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
PM,your coolant is nearly as important as your oil.do not remove your tank,no one said you have to,just slide it back as per my post.its not hard and will give you confidence,,,,write down if you have to,every step,then replace in reverse.

someone will be here to help you 24/7

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PM,your coolant is nearly as important as your oil.do not remove your tank,no one said you have to,just slide it back as per my post.its not hard and will give you confidence,,,,write down if you have to,every step,then replace in reverse.

someone will be here to help you 24/7

Actually - I'm more concerned about spilling gasoline all over the place . . . I will sum up the courage soon.

I just realized that you're calling me "PM". I couldn't figure out why you were adding the words "personal message" in weird places.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an '81 GL500 and maybe mine's different, however I can remove my radiator cap without moving my tank at all. It's not as easy as removing a car's, but it's not too difficult.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
I have an '81 GL500 and maybe mine's different, however I can remove my radiator cap without moving my tank at all. It's not as easy as removing a car's, but it's not too difficult.

These bikes all have different radiators but it's possible to interchange them by swapping out the thermostat housing outpipe.

The custom is by far the worst with it's radiator cap as far under there as possible. Then the Deluxe is a 1/2 inch to an inch further out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.