Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some trouble finding the right clutch cable length and lever for my 1982 cx500c. A lot of cables I find only work for cx500 up to 81 or below. I Need a shorter than stock length for mustache/low cruiser type bars. If anyone has any suggestions of who to go through for finding one, Please let me know! Also having a hard time finishing a shop to work on the damn thing for me, as I need to service front and rear brakes. Located in Phoenix.

·
Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
You are not likely to find a shop that can work on your bike. The sad fact is that a many shops are not interested in having their mechanics spend the necessary time learning enough about older models to do a proper job so they simply do not service machines over 10 years old, let alone 33 years old. The cost of having a mechanic learn how to properly service a model that they are not likely to see more than a couple of per year would be more than they would make having him do the work.

If you want to keep an antique motorcycle on the road you need to learn how to service it yourself. Coming to this forum is a good first step. Most of us remember when we were new at this and are willing to help you learn. The next step is to download the Factory Service Manual for your model from the Wiki (link in my signature) and study it (studying the Wiki isn't a bad idea either).

BTW: If you make these settings it will be easier for us to help you http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/31323-forum-settings-everyone-should-make.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I've had. A few old bikes that I've taken to a shop but I recently moved and it's a ways away now. I'm definitely not against doing everything myself, just knowing what parts and finding the right ones is the most concerning. It seems finding parts for an 82 is an oddball thing, which is crazy. I know that some stuff is compatible with the Gl500's also. I do need to do service on the fork seals and my rear brakes, not sure if it's just new pads/shoes or compete rebuild. They work but the lever has to crank down to do anything. If you know of a good website to get these I'd be much obliged! Hope to hear from ha, thanks again

-sean

·
Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
Manufacturers are required to stock parts for a specified time after manufacture (10 years IIRC). After that they may continue to stock parts that sell well enough to make money but anything that sells in small numbers is usually liquidated and becomes No Longer Available. You will find that Honda is better than most at stocking parts for old bikes but can you imagine the size of warehouse they would need if they had everything for every model they ever made? Some parts on your bike have been used on a lot of other models, possibly even current models, some parts are specific to the CX/GL500/650 family and a few were only used on the GL500. Parts that they were still using in new bikes made long after yours &/or they used in a lot of models are usually available but parts that are model specific and never sold well in the first place are another matter altogether...

BUT the aftermarket is beginning to step up to the plate. Just recently, David Silver Spares started having camchain guides & tensioners made, for example.

Re rear brake: The FSM explains it better than I can but basically, the rear brake is adjusted by the nut on the end of the rod that pulls the brake arm forward (pretty standard for drum brakes). There is a raised triangle cast into the brake plate. If the Indicator Plate (looks like a washer made to fit the splines, with an indicator tab) is on the shaft that the brake arm turns (protrudes from brake plate - cam on the other end spreads the shoes) correctly it will point at the triangle when you fully apply the brake to indicate that the pads need replacing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I finally found and talked to a shop today that i was able to bring it to and have them look at it. He Says the brakes should be fine, most likely just need to adjust the cable and tension. So that's always good! The other problem was finding short cables since I took off the stock bars. We're sending them out to Barnett and having them shortened. I've never had an old stock bike in this era with the kind of bars that came on this thing, so I imagine people had to of needed short cables somewhere done the road. I also found a new clutch lever/switch housing on eBay for 30$ since a piece broke off that holds the clutch lever on. Once I get all that up and going I should be ready to hit the road. A new seat is in the works as well that I found from motorcycleseatsdirect.com . I will post some pics of when she's all done. Should be around the first of September or so. In October I'm taking it on a 1500 mile trip from phx to San Fran and back, so it's been a little stressful finding all the right pieces and parts. I appreciate all your input and help bob! You rule! I started a blog about my trip as well if you're interested in reading about it in the future. THIRTY ON TWO

-Sean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Find another shop. These bikes don't have brake cables. Or better yet download the FSM and do it yourself and know it is done right.

That might have been my typo. The Brake line should be ok.. Mainly the throttle cables and clutch cable is the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts