Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Bikemaster Daytona bars on my 1982 CX500 Custom because I didn't like the buckhorn handlebars. These bars are a good deal shorter and lower than the stock bars, and all of my cables and hoses are a bit too long now, especially the clutch. I'm wondering if I should just buy the Motion Pro cables for the 79 CX500 Standard because I believe that those cables are shorter and will fit on my bike, but I'm just not sure. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The pro motion cables should be fine, a little long but not terrible. You can get custom length cable made but cost is quite a bit higher.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pro motion cables should be fine, a little long but not terrible. You can get custom length cable made but cost is quite a bit higher.
Does your bike come stock with Daytona bars or did it come with the buckhorn bars?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Neither, I have pretty low daytona type bars on my bike that I put on it. Just replaced with pro motion clutch cable for standard/deluxe and its fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neither, I have pretty low daytona type bars on my bike that I put on it. Just replaced with pro motion clutch cable for standard/deluxe and its fine.
What year are your cables meant for? Are they designed for your year of bike and would they fit on an '82 CX500 Custom?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would your cables be compatible with an '82 Custom with Daytona bars? I need to know ASAP, so I can order them and install them because until then my bike is decommisioned

·
Registered
50 Posts
I put Bikemaster Daytona bars on my 1982 CX500 Custom because I didn't like the buckhorn handlebars. These bars are a good deal shorter and lower than the stock bars, and all of my cables and hoses are a bit too long now, especially the clutch. I'm wondering if I should just buy the Motion Pro cables for the 79 CX500 Standard because I believe that those cables are shorter and will fit on my bike, but I'm just not sure. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
I have a 1978 standard with stock cables. This past winter I removed the stock handle bars and replaced them with Eurosport bars from Partzilla. Even lowering them as little as the Eurosport bars did, the cables are much tighter. I've tried rerouting them several times and adjusting them even more, but I can't get the throttle roll and snap back like it used to. No issues with the clutch though. With the issues I'm also experiencing, I'm not sure the 78 cables will do you much good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of bars did your bike start with?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm watching this thread. I have the same thing going on. 1981 CX500 custom, going from stock buckhorn bars to Emgo Daytona touring. According to to my measurements, all cables need to be 4.5" shorter. I'd prefer not to cut the stock cables since I'd like to be able to put it back to stock if I ever want to.
Also will be replacing stock brake line with stainless.

·
Registered
48 Posts
FYI, I just spoke to MotionPro. Their Tech dept is cross referencing my cables to see if there is another stock cable that will work. A custom set of push/pulls and a clutch cable have a 2.5 week lead time and are $60 each I think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shorter cables solution:

I recently just fixed mine relatively cheaply. The problem with the current cables is the housing unit on both ends are crimped on end pieces so shortening the actual black part which holds the cord will be difficult.

I took cables off of my parts bike 1978 CB750F. The cable housing itself is a perfect fit and about 2-3 inches shorter than the cx500 cables, However I had to modify the inside cord length. The inside cord is too long on both cables because they were meant for different carbs. For example, if you put the cb750 cables just directly on the bike, you will see there is too much slack in the cord itself.

I cut the cord on both CB750 cables so that they come out the housing the same length as the 78 CX500 cables. Remember to compensate for the wire that needs to go into the barrel when cutting.

I made two 6mm x 7mm brass nipples which can also be purchased on Dime city Brass Carb End Throttle Nipple for 1.5mm Cable | Custom Motorcycle Cable Ends

I then soldered the wires into the brass nipple using flux and i believe 60/40 or 40/60.

PLEASE NOTE I CUT THE END OF THE CABLES THAT GO INTO THE THROTTLE NOT THE CARBS.

You can buy brand new 1978 CB750 cables on ebay for like $12 each, plus $8 dime city nipples if you don't make it yourself. You are looking at about $35 for custom cables which work perfectly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts