Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Yeah, so you understand why I'd like to continue my late father's work. I just don't have the technical knowledge. I went into software, he was hardware, and I never learned much about circuits.

Charles.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
97 Posts
There are many partially assembled units as well. The project stalled after dad got sick. Boards are marked 2007.

View attachment 205348

View attachment 205349

View attachment 205350

If you would make a commitment to building these and supplying them to people at a reasonable cost, I'd be willing to give it all to you. All the pieces parts. All the un-potted stock CDI boxes as well. All the resistors, diodes, transistors, trimpots, basically everything that you'd need to assemble a hundred or so of these yourself. I don't have the electrical engineering background to make and troubleshoot these devices. I don't want a cut or anything, maybe just a few working devices for myself. What I want is my dad's legacy to live on, and his work to be put to a use and made available to the community at large. And if you, or someone else profits from it, I'm fine with that. I don't need the money, I want the work he did to have meaning.

Charles.
Charles have you found anyone to finish your fathers work. I would be interested.

Jeff.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
97 Posts
I have not, I'll shoot you a PM.

Charles.
Charles, I sent you a gmail to the choppercharles.com, but have not heard back. I am obtaining some test equipment to go ahead and work on a CDI for early CX500's. Please let me know if you are still interested in caring on your fathers work.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Yeah, it was caught by my spam filter apparently. I've responded now. Looking forward to working with you.

Charles.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
8 Posts
So I'm a total noob when it comes to motorcycle electronics. What is the purpose of updating the CDI or replacing it ? I understand that OE is 40 something years old. Is updating the CDI to produce hotter spark, OE is obsolete or now considered unreliable ? I've looked into the Rae Son, sp?, Not sure what I would exactly need to replace stock IGN. Very much interested in upgrading electrical on my bike just haven't dug to deep into it. Trying to get info and parts together to do the triple bypass and would also be interested in upgrading the electrical while I'm at it. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Twinkie, if your CX500 runs perfect forget all 'bout this. If you think your CX500 has problems starting up, running on just one cylinder, everything else appears to be ok, though. Then you should, aside of all other things to check, consider the following: The CDI of a CX500 contains a capacitor for each ignition line which was built at around about 40 years ago. Such components as caps slowly but surely lose their capacity. You cannot neither simply replace the cap nor buy a new honda cdi . Now you need an alternative. This it what this is all about.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,601 Posts
It's a preemptive move against an almost inevitable failure. The aging CDI is the big weakness in these bikes.
If your alternator is producing good AC to charge the battery, you can kick that can down the road a bit. When the ignition source in the stator, or the CDI itself, gives out, an Ignitech unit can fix it without opening the engine. If you have an Ignitech mounted, you can install a less expensive G8 stator from the TI machines.
Some opt to do that all at once, but you can spread it out if you want.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
8 Posts
Hi Twinkie, if your CX500 runs perfect forget all 'bout this. If you think your CX500 has problems starting up, running on just one cylinder, everything else appears to be ok, though. Then you should, aside of all other things to check, consider the following: The CDI of a CX500 contains a capacitor for each ignition line which was built at around about 40 years ago. Such components as caps slowly but surely lose their capacity. You cannot neither simply replace the cap nor buy a new honda cdi . Now you need an alternative. This it what this is all about.
Hey, thanks for the info. My bike definitely does not run perfect. The right side I've noticed is either loading up with fuel or not firing. Looking into how to diagnose the issue. Either to .much fuel or not enough spark. Gas mileage is terrible, runs ok surprisingly until I full throttle it at speed. Then just bogs and chokes until I let off. I also have a head gasket leaking on that side. Was kinda thinking that was my issue with it not burning fuel properly.
It's a preemptive move against an almost inevitable failure. The aging CDI is the big weakness in these bikes.
If your alternator is producing good AC to charge the battery, you can kick that can down the road a bit. When the ignition source in the stator, or the CDI itself, gives out, an Ignitech unit can fix it without opening the engine. If you have an Ignitech mounted, you can install a less expensive G8 stator from the TI machines.
Some opt to do that all at once, but you can spread it out if you want.
Thanks for the info. Have to look into checking the charging system and go from there.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts