Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi folks, I'm going to set up a revision 0.2 version since I found a few things that required modification. The new lab version will fit into a smaller box as well. Give me a few weeks for testing and adjustments.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting bit: I compared the old CDI and my selfmade. The original CDI shows quite a tolerance between both cylinders:
Both sides fire when idle pulser is above 1.8V. Makes sense since there is nothing but diodes and a thyristor.
The difference lies in advance pulser voltages:
The right side fires, when advance pulser voltage is above 6.8V
The left side fires when advance pulser voltage is above 4,80V
That's quite a difference. I guess that explains various complaints about accelleration and odd behaviour when speeding up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Current status: PCB is in production, I'm going to set up three boxes as evaluation devices. Since PCB producrion and boxes are not cheap I decided to give each away für 25 EUR. The boxes will have cables / connectors attached and a detailled installation guide. Remove you CDI, insert this one and start your tests. In case of problems simply replace the new box with the original CDI.
It would be ideal if you guinnea pigs could produce a detailled experience report. A detailled report would be rewarded with 10 EUR.
Please note: Your generator, pickups and advance pulsers needs to be in good condition.
I guess the PCBs will be here by the end of this week so I can start manufacturing the boxes then.
Please send a PN if you like to play the guinea pig. Since ironnike is already on the list there are still two free seats in the carousell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cheers Hermannsson.
Just to let you know, my bike is still incomplete. Therefore if someone else is willing to go on trial before I finish my bike(my project goes fairly slow due to parts delivery turnout) feel free to give away my spot.
It's only fair as I don't want to slow things down for you or other potential testers

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My motor rebuild is almost complete. I should be working on electronics by Sept.
I'd gladly offer 25 to test out your design. heck. it could be a great jumping point for another motor on my bench too.
when your ready, let me know; my email is my username at both yahoo and gmail.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Hermannson, my father actually made and designed a CDI replacement. He had circuit boards printed (looks like a hundred or more) and sent out some prototypes to people on the forum. That was like 15 years ago. Then he died and the project obviously disappeared. I have all the parts he purchased and a non-working, fully assembled early prototype. I may be able to dig up the schematic as well. I have no idea who got the original test units, or if they're still working. I would LOVE it if someone would continue his work. It was a straight CDI replacement, not a 12V device like the ignitech.

Charles.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
There are many partially assembled units as well. The project stalled after dad got sick. Boards are marked 2007.

If you would make a commitment to building these and supplying them to people at a reasonable cost, I'd be willing to give it all to you. All the pieces parts. All the un-potted stock CDI boxes as well. All the resistors, diodes, transistors, trimpots, basically everything that you'd need to assemble a hundred or so of these yourself. I don't have the electrical engineering background to make and troubleshoot these devices. I don't want a cut or anything, maybe just a few working devices for myself. What I want is my dad's legacy to live on, and his work to be put to a use and made available to the community at large. And if you, or someone else profits from it, I'm fine with that. I don't need the money, I want the work he did to have meaning.

Charles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Charles,
your dad appears to have had a dream and the drive to make it reality. Great stuff indeed. As far as I can see from the pictures provided this CDI is very similar to mine. It must be since that's more or less the only way to make it work in a cx500. I have the feeling that my son will one day find all my components and wonder what to to with it, as you do now.
I did not give one away yet, so I guess the demand of a CDI replacement is very low. There are a few struggling with it, posting a lot of stuff in various forums and in the end dismantle the cx and sell it in pieces or install ignitec. If we had not this corona restrictions I would have had various oportunities to discuss CDI replacement with other cx owners,though, it may change next year, famous last words ...
I'd suggest trying to find the schematics, I'm more than willing to support you in matters of reading and explaining it. Then you could either give the entire project away to an enthusiastic successor or try selling it to other cx owners to keep more cx alive in the US. Either way would keep you dad's vision alive.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Hi Charles,
your dad appears to have had a dream and the drive to make it reality. Great stuff indeed. As far as I can see from the pictures provided this CDI is very similar to mine. It must be since that's more or less the only way to make it work in a cx500. I have the feeling that my son will one day find all my components and wonder what to to with it, as you do now.
I did not give one away yet, so I guess the demand of a CDI replacement is very low. There are a few struggling with it, posting a lot of stuff in various forums and in the end dismantle the cx and sell it in pieces or install ignitec. If we had not this corona restrictions I would have had various oportunities to discuss CDI replacement with other cx owners,though, it may change next year, famous last words ...
I'd suggest trying to find the schematics, I'm more than willing to support you in matters of reading and explaining it. Then you could either give the entire project away to an enthusiastic successor or try selling it to other cx owners to keep more cx alive in the US. Either way would keep you dad's vision alive.
I'm totally viewing this from outside....but maybe as time progresses demand for CDIs may increase....the only thing working against it may be the need for an original spec functioning stator??...
FWIW I'm always a believer in "hibernating" projects rather than Junking it.....
Good luck ...and same to chopper charles if he chooses to progress it....

I for one am running an original CDI...but have an ignitech on the shelf....if the need arises....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Charles,

Your Dad must've been very confident in this design (or maybe already tested it and knew it worked) otherwise i doubt he would've invested all the capital to build 100 units. That is a very cool legacy, I hope it will come to fruition.

Cheers

·
Administrator
1,592 Posts
DickInRaleigh was a legend here. He's the reason I started this whole forum, actually. If not for him, there wouldn't have been a CX500 forum. I wasn't even into the CX back then, but he was (big time!). The original CX forum closed and he asked me to start a new one. I was not long out of college, and I was a computer programmer... and it sounded like fun. I built a forum using the wwwboard software and it went live in December 2002 as cxboard.netfirms.com. Later it moved to choppercharles.com and then finally to cx500forum.com, where it resides today. It's now under different management (I couldn't fend off all the hackers by myself), but the legacy remains with DickInRaleigh. He was the reason this whole place came to be. He's the reason I got into CX500s and the reason I kept this board going for so long.

So it'd be nice to do something with the work he was doing back then. I will look through my archives and see if I can find the circuit diagrams. I'll have to dig up an oooold hard drive.

Charles.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
OMG, what a legacy, I had no idea of the genesis of this forum. Hats off to your Dad & you Charles!!!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts