Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Many know of the Ignitech in the buy/sell section, and some have now found that Ray in Oz has a solution. So does Andy in Finland. Here are links to the appropriate information currently available.

Cobram's Ignitech group buy, very popular and successful.

Raymond in Oz and his Rae-San version.

Keep in mind, each are slightly different functionally, so be sure to do the research, as you should for any electric/electronic component.

No statement of guarantee is implied here, merely a link to resources.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm digging your site arydberg. How expensive is the CDI project? and is that something that requires specialty tools? The fractals are a nice touch.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Don't know what you mean by speciality tools. It is electronics. Soldering iron and meters etc. I've forgotten about the price. probably not a good choice unless you have built other electronics projects.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't tried the other options, but thanks to Ray of Rae-San for comming up with a solution I am deliriously enjoying. This is not a shameless plug as there is bo selfish motive for me here. Just putting in my two cents. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I said, they all have the same basic function, but all/each need certain other electrics to work properly. No magic bullets. Contact each member for more defined information such as shipping etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Is there an updated link to purchase andy’s Ac cdi unit from Finland?
I don't believe he's making them any more. The Rae San or Ignitech are both tested and valid options.
I didn't dig into this very much, but here are some web pages regarding Andy's CX500 CDI units that give some more info.
I didn't check for the timeline this applies to.
Translate from Finnish.

https://tuumaustauko.blogspot.com/p/cx500-ignitech-cdi.html?fbclid=IwAR09K4ZNyCnggh9qjpfnZSKKkUh9XSpTej-QPCe0jwApFuGsa1X9PafeDbApages

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this forum, I guess I never thought of a CX forum but they are popular again in the CAFE scene. To bad I was late to the party, I do need the CDI Power Supply that Igntech made for the CX. I was hoping that Igntech was still building the Rae-San CDI power supply. I was wanting to fix my CX500C so my grandson could start off with a good solid bike but now I must do the major teardown to replace the stator. A job I really wasn't looking forward too.
Years ago:
I was travelling to IA one summer to pickup a truck when my CDI went, I limped all night from Gillette WY to Hayward IA running between 45-50 mph. A very long night and morning.
I guess the saying that I've have lived by for years "You snooze you loose" Maybe there is someone out there to give me hope.

·
Super Moderator
20,776 Posts
Ignitech and raesan are two separate companies. Ignitech in the Czech republic, Raesan in Australia.

Raesan used to make the power supply module to supply power to the stock CDI unit and I think will still make one to order. I have used them and recommend them.

Question - are you after a replacement ignition or a power supply?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Experimenting with CX500 CDI

A lot has been written, posted, discussed and tested regarding CX500 CDI Boxes and CX500 generators. I have worked on several CX in the past and after 10 years of absence again started with this stuff. One of the things I always replace when repairing a CX engine is the generator, since there was one night when I was stuck on the motorway on a layby just due to switching off the engine. It won't start afterwards because the battery was empty. Generator voltage just keep the lights glowing but that was all.

All CX had the old AC-CDI ignition and hence got a new generator I purchased in the UK. This one is relatively cheap and has separate coils for the charging capacitors in the CDI.
Now, after repairing another CX I think that the CDI may not work perfectly, starting the cold bike takes a while, sometimes with a few neighbour friendly "bangs" but when it had started picking up the pace the engine runs quite well.

I do not like the idea of adding a computerized ignition control unit to a 1980's bike, may be this is an odd dislike.

After digging in the dusty electronic archive of my brain, I have nearly 20 years of experience as an electronic engineer, I decided to consider the CDI not rocket science but just relatively simple hardware.
To ignite a spark the CDI needs to initiate a fast flowing current through the CDI side of the ignition coils. Since the CDI has no +12V connector, the power source for the ignition current has to be provided by separate coils on the generator itself. These coils provide approximately 80V AC and this is fed into the separate connector of the CDI. Inside the CDI box we have a rectifier (Diode) and then there is a capacitor. This capacitor will be now charged. A thyristor, fired by the pulsers, will then discharge the capacitor and hence enable above fast flowing current through the ignition coils. Sound quite easy and in essence it is.
But then we have the advance pulsers! Since they do not have any effect under 3.000 rpm, I can ignore them for the time being.
Testing the capacitors may work as follows: Use a 30V AC power source, connect minus to one pin in the small CDI connector and feed the plus over a resistor, let's say 1KOhm, to the other pin in the small connector. Put a voltmeter parallel to the resistor. You should see the voltage going down, as soon as the capacitor is charged you will not have any current and hence no voltage, I may work using an indicator lamp instead of the resistor. The light should flash shortly and then go out. Problem is, there is at least a diode between the connector and the capacitor so you have no way of telling how the capacitor's capacitor leakage is.
So,if the CDI may be faulty, I guess the capacitors may have seen better times, you have a few options: Take another "old" CDI, take the original CDI apart and repair is, order a quite expensive ignitech or do something else.
I tried taking apart the CDI, I can tell you it's a nightmare and just forget it.There's stuff in it that may not be best for your health.
I tried another CDI, there is positive effect, could be an option trying a few.

There is a quite cheap solution to determine a faulty CDI,that's my idea: I will purchase a standard 4-stroke 2-cylinders AC-CDI from a Chinese supplier for under 10€ and connect it to the CX. I will leave the advance pulsers off since all I want to test is the engine start. If that would work …
I wonder what will happen.

Let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first prototype is more or less identical to the original Honda CTI and hence very similar to the famous FinnBoxG47. It's just a collection of diodes, capacitors, resistors and one thyristor per side. I set it up on a testboard and will test it over the weekend if there is time.

In principle it is just that: CDI Schematics

·
Registered
31 Posts
First rough setup of my selfmade CTI works fine.
Handmade CTI . Engine starts immediately.
I added a rough setup of ignition coils, "Suzuki DRZ400" Ignition-Coils which works fine as well.
My CX all run with a new generator from electrex in the UK which have the ignition coils similar to the original generator.

Warning: The voltage at the thyristor anodes is quite high, almost 180V so be careful !

Since the weather is not fine and there are long queues at DIY stores due to Corona I will have to wait a few days before I can get a waterproof small box and then take the bike out for a ride to test more.

If I'm happy with it I'll try to build a small quantity of selfmade CDI for sale. At least I would offer the board so you could build your own CDI at home.

When this CDI works it's much cheaper than the ignitec stuff and you have a nearly unaltered CX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When this CDI works it's much cheaper than the ignitech stuff and you have a nearly unaltered CX.
Hallo Hermanssonn

Any updates on the DIY CDI box? I'd be interested in purchasing one after it's been tested and confirmed to work.

Best regards,
Nick

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi All, been quite busy. I've successfully tested the lab version. What I'm going to do is getting a printed board produced, let's say 5 items. I'd would give it to beta testers including instructions and component list.
Please note that you need to have a 100% working generator with perfect ignition AC coils. My CX always get a new generator G47 from UK company electrex or you may have a re-wired original one.
Don't press too much since it's summer and my wife has a lot of ideas for our garden ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts