Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into different shocks I can use for my cafe racer project, seems as though I can go as cheap or as expensive as i like. What are some shocks you guys have used and like on your bikes? I am thinking something a few inches lower would be nice.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
my vote goes to

marzocchi AG stradas

pick em up off ebay and rebuild them yourself.

easy to do

adjustable via oil, washers and the adjustement screw.

Rayman

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a pair of Kawasaki ZRX1200S shocks that went through a bike fire. I've taken them apart completely blasted them and checked the bores for round they are fine. Now I have to have them anodized and reuild them. A bunch of work but when you're poor you do what you gotta do? At least then I can re-valve and spring them to my specs.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not very knowledgable on the differences between different types of shocks for motorcycles. What would be the advantages of all of these? Specifically for a cafe racer and handling.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Looking into different shocks I can use for my cafe racer project, seems as though I can go as cheap or as expensive as i like. What are some shocks you guys have used and like on your bikes? I am thinking something a few inches lower would be nice.
I used the Sporster XR1200? shocks. The spring rate is way too stiff for the CX. The bike handles well unless you hit bumps midcorner where it starts to hop and drift. Look at the weight of the donor bike compared to the CX weight. If they differ too much then there may be handling issues

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
As soon as I see CX rear shocks being discussed, I´ll jump in and with a fool's stubbornness repeat, like a mantra, KONI 7610 model, type 1412.

I have a pair on one of my bikes. I also have a pair of Marzocchi Stradas that I tried on another one, for a while. Although set as soft as possible, the Stradas felt a lot stiffer than the KONI:s. I was simply happier with the KONI:s. They have 3-way adjustable preload and 4-way dial adjusted rebound. They took a lot of serious punishment on a 19 day trip abroad, (2 up and LOTS of luggage on really rough roads). Not one single bottoming-out, in spite of 70 kg overload. They are both soft and firm, if you could say so. The bike feels a lot better in bumpy bends than with the original "bicycle pump" setup.

KONI is NLA, since many years, but IKON (Aus) took over everything and have the same program. They aren´t exactly cheap, but very good, as said.

http://www.ikonsuspension.com/content/product_ranges/7610_series_shocks.shtml

I´ve hamstered some nice sets of KONI:s off of eBay Germany (must talk to someone about doing like that). I also have a set, brand new, bought from the Swedish importer as one of the very last sets he had when KONI had stopped making them.

I don´t intend to try and sell them, am only telling that they are really good. If I´m going to sell some, later, it´ll be either locally or (possibly) Germany (shipping costs).

As late as yesterday an unused pair of the 6120 predecessor KONI model (w/o adjustable rebound) went for € 151 on eBay Germany. Just to illustrate that they´re desirable.

http://cgi.ebay.de/KONI-Original-St...pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item2c58e60710

Sture

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Just got back from Virginia for Thanksgiving

Cannot say how the HD Sportster shocks will work out on my project bike until the test rides during the next week or two. If the HD shocks don't work out, will look at Progressive style or Race Tech next. Also need to see where the modified bike's weight is at. Will have to replace the front springs, with Progressive or Race Tech. My CX500 will be a comfortable naked sport bike with lots of mountain twisty riding in it's future
: After test rides, will tear down, make needed repairs/modifications, possible shock replacement, then paint. Will post suspension modifications and results in this build thread:

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/1558-1980-cx500d-project/

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi

I've had no issues with the Marzocchis - not quite as adjustable as easily as the Konis -

but more obtainable - BUT you do need to be prepared to give them a full rebuild -

If they've been left for years ( as most of them have) the valve at the bottom of the cartridge tends

to get stuck due to gunge.

I go through them - clean out all the valves, the shim stack, new schrader, check the bladder, ususally give them a strip to bare metal and repaint, fress oil and new seals.

After that they behave as they should - they can be a little stiff for the lighter rider if the adjustment screw is all the way in too -

but for the riding I do ( hills and lots of bendy stuff) they work quite nicely - a lot nicer than the original FVQs.

I might have a set of konis coming that I'll need to rebuild - so then I can make an informed comparison.

Rayman

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like KONIs are harder to come by here in the US. Rayman, where are you located?

Finding only model 7610, type 1298.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Seems like KONIs are harder to come by here in the US. Rayman, where are you located?

Finding only model 7610, type 1298.

Sorry Dennis - fixed up my settings -

Adelaide S.Aust -

Rayman

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I found them, for $330 USD. I guess for a one time purchase it isn't bad compared to other shocks. For that price they are brand new and ready to go. Has anyone tried out their progressive front fork springs? Or is putting the spacer in there like Larry did work just as well?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I don't know if you've bought your shocks yet, but here's a cheaper alternative I've been using that work well, at least for me:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-shocks-and-springs-mc/p2007058.jcwx?filterid=c51023j3

They took a little while to loosen up, they were wicked stiff for a few months but I don't notice them anymore (good or bad) so to me that means they work like they should.  As for the fork springs, seems like people here either use Progressive springs or Race Tec.  I've got the progressives and they were one of the best upgrades I paid for.  That and some heavy fork oil will work wonders for handling.  It's really tough to compare the stock cx springs to anything else because a lot of them are worn and sprung so they don't work as well as they used to.  My stock shocks out back bounced like a playground spring horse, and I'm sure they weren't like that when new.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i've been browsing shocks for my cx café for the last month, and i'm also on a budget...i wanted a gas shock but couldn't find anything in my price range until i found these...(just ordered them, they're pretty cheap, and i hope that doesn't reflect the quality...i haven't rec'd them yet to look them over, we'll see how they turn out)

they have different color combos too.

~J

·
Registered
343 Posts
Check out the shocks at partsnmore.com, and they have free shipping. Shocks range $70-85 per pair with free shipping. AGB-1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.