Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine is out and the rear cover is off.

I got everything ready to put the cover back on and in another thread everyone said "make sure it shifts before putting the cover back on"

So.... You see where this is going right?

I put the shift lever on and it will shift up one and down back into the gear it started from.

I tried lifting the clutch lever.

I tried turning the engine by hand and re-testing.

It has the exact same behavior.

I am not surprised. My KZ does not like to shift unless the engine is running.

I am posting pictures of the gears in case I have something wrong.

This is with it in the up and down shift positions.

UP:

Down:

Thanks again!

Y'all have been great!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks same as mine. I dont see anything from those pics unlike you would find in the manual. Although you might have a problem in the clutch dept but I'm not possitive on that one. Thats something I'm going to be getting into in detail real soon. I'm watching this thread

I believe it is fine actually. I suspect it is just being a difficult old bike. My KZ was real pissy with me before I rode her much. Now I have about 1200 miles on her in the last 5 months or so and she is MUCH more cooperative.

This CX sat for God only know how long before I got it. I got it to fire up and run but she never did get to idle more than 2-3 minutes if that long. I expect once I have a few miles on her she will be more cooperative as well.

Curious since the engine was out and all do you plan on doing a break in oil change at 500 miles? I am. Not sure about a filter change then but certainly oil.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Place the engine main drive shaft onto the engine with it's small insert gear in the CORRECT way round.

Put the gear lever on.

Place a rag around the shaft to help with purchase and turn the engine and move the gear lever and see if you can move from neutral and through the gears and back.If you have to,use a pair of Vise grips on the clothed/protected shaft to help turn the engine.You can also use several layers of masking tape around the drive shaft to protect it whilst doing this check.

All the spacers and thrust washers must be in place and the gear change mechanism at the correct height to allow the roller wheels to operate correctly.There are 3 thrust washers in the back of the engine.One either side of the small starter gear(the one on the small removable axle)

And 1 under the left hand side gear selector shaft.If these are not in place they will cause premature wear of components and vague gear changes respectively.

There is no point assembling and engine without checking the gears operate correctly.

Shep,

Could this be accomplished if I had a buddy come over and turn the engine from the front?

Using the 17mm bolt under the 17mm cover that we use to set the engine to tdc for valves and such. If I put a 1/2 inch bar on it with a 17mm socket he could sit in the front and turn the engine while I worked the shifter.

If the goal is to simply have the engine rotating AS I try to shift it I think this would work.

I know a couple of guys who could come over and help with this.

If the goal is to have the transmission rotating as I try to shift it then having a friend come by will not help me any.

Good to know that missing spacers could cause vague shifting and other such behavior.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds to me like its probably ok and you're just being cautious Tony

Nothing wrong with that, it can save a lot of greif later.

I had a motor with all that stuff in a box and I was a bit worried

and confused at first when refitting it all.

I put a spanner on the end of drum and kept cranking it clockwise then

anti clock wise untilI could feel all the gears and neutral

they dont like to be shifted statically much so having another pair of hands

to turn the motor as you check you can get the full range will help.

I did it on my own but an assistant is often useful

if only to make the tea

Tea while you work and Beer when your done!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just so you hear it again from someone else who's done it:

If it's together right then YES you should be able to shift through all the gears with the engine still out of the bike....would make sure it does before re-installation. And yes you can do it by yourself by just rotating the drive shaft around with one hand and the other hand on the gear shifter.

Got it.

I have a friend coming over whom I have helped move a couple of times.

He will be happy to help if I stop goading him about heavy furniture!

Should only take about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good News!

Turning the engine did not help.

Turning the transmission output shaft (I know y'all told me) did!

Thanks for that tip!

it will go through all the gears.

Also on the good news front the Gas tank holds gas and does not appear to leak!

I had never put gas in it so I put acetate in it tonight and sloshed it around a bit.

The petcock works which is also good news to me!

It is starting to feel like there might be hope for this project!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.