Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always hated the seat on my 81 GL 500 , seems too low and a bit hard, but I remembered I had a sheepskin I used on my GL 1100 in the winter .

I was going to cut it to fit and attach it somehow but instead it was large enough to fold in half and I just used two small bungie cords to hold it on . Makes a big difference !! As I am 1 hour from the city, most of the time I am in the saddle at least that long before I get anywhere, and my butt was really suffering!

Man that thing really makes a difference !

Although I do feel like I look like a pimp with the fur , whitewall tires and all !! I have two rolling bolt nut stickers on the right side cover too! ( I SHOW my nuts!) But I like the WW's and the furry feels great!! I like being able to take it off easily in case of rain too.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a sheepskin that came with the bike I inherited from my Dad. He always swore it helped a bunch but I haven't tried it yet. The next time I do some longer rides maybe I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got pretty lucky with the seat on my gl. I swear its got 4 miles of padding, but the passenger seat part is literally held together by black electrical tape.
I'll fix it eventually but it not real high on my priority list.

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
This description kinda makes you think of riding naked, or at least bare ass. LOL

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used a sheepskin when i had the oem seat on my cx500c. It does make a big difference to me and my ass.

Now I have a k&Q seat so dont need the lift or extra padding.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
If it starts to look like this, you've gone overboard.

There was mention of gel filled seat covers/inserts on the old list. IIRC they got high marks from the riders who were using them.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
When on long rides I use a 1" gel seat pad covered with a sheepskin on top of my modified seat. The gel pad raises me up and gives me a bit more legroom as well as cuts any shock from bumps etc. The sheepskin gets rid of that squishy feeling gel pads give. Not sure why.

I modified my seat by cutting in a 1/2" piece of gel and covering that with a 3/8 piece of memory foam all under the stock cover .

When it is really hot out I use the sheepskin to insulate the hot gel seat. Gel really absorbs and holds the heat and the sheepskin helps keep things cooler.

When it is cold I use the sheepskin to insulate the cold seat. Makes things warmer.

When I go out to the bike and the seat is wet from rain or dew I use the sheepskin to keep things drier.

When I go camping the sheepskin rolls up and makes a good pillow.

Here is my bike on tour. The sheepskin helps keep stuff from sliding off the seat. Did I mention I like my sheepskin?

I got it at that sheepskin place west of Hamburg on I78 in PA for about $30. I used big safety pins to attach straps to it. I tie it to the bike. Otherwise when I stand up at speed it can blow off. Don't ask how I know that.

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts
If it starts to look like this, you've gone overboard.

There was mention of gel filled seat covers/inserts on the old list. IIRC they got high marks from the riders who were using them.

Is that cousin it's bike?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts