Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I left the shutoff valve open on my CX500 and forgot about it, she say for about 2 weeks, I went to ride her today and she would not turn over. I tried to drain the float tank screw with no luck so I pulled the carb and sure enough it was clogged and gummed up. I cleaned both sides inside and out. then reinstalled her but she still will not start. When I loosen the drain screws on each side fuel come out so I assume the carb is getting gas. I am at a loss as to what could be the issue. Oh for some reason when I run gas to her it seems to drain form the hoses bellow the float drain screws regardless if the screw is closed or not. Its not a lot but it still dose it.

Please help if you can

-Aron

·
Super Moderator
23,838 Posts
Your carbs are flooding. It could be crap caught in the float needle valve.

Try draining your carbs through again while tapping on the float bowl. This often does the trick.

If not you will need to pull the carbs to find out why they are doing this.

Check the float levels are at 15.5mm and the condition and cleanliness of the float needle valve and it's seat.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Your carbs are flooding. It could be crap caught in the float needle valve.

Try draining your carbs through again while tapping on the float bowl. This often does the trick.

If not you will need to pull the carbs to find out why they are doing this.

Check the float levels are at 15.5mm and the condition and cleanliness of the float needle valve and it's seat.
When you say it "won't turn over" do you mean the motor appears locked? If so, it is probably hydrolock from the leaking carbs. Pull the plugs, turn it over a few times and change the oil. Then, fix the carb floats

·
Registered
967 Posts
sounds like the carbs need to be completely cleaned. You may get the bike to run, but on these finicky carbs, 'clogged and gummed up' is no good and will only give you problems down the road.

Also consider the condition of the inside of the fuel tank, strainer, etc...the gunk has to come from somewhere, and tank sediment, residue, etc will also perpetuate problems.

All that to say should you completely clean your carbs, also do the tank as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thanks everybody, I took the carb back off last night a re-Cleanes everything including the float needle. I'm going to reinstall it this afternoon and see how it goes. I haven't checked to see if there is fuel in the oil but the gas tank is not the issue it's running on sort of an IV you could say from a bottle to the carb. I took the tank off to make it easyer to get the carb off.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Wow thanks everybody, I took the carb back off last night a re-Cleanes everything including the float needle. I'm going to reinstall it this afternoon and see how it goes. I haven't checked to see if there is fuel in the oil but the gas tank is not the issue it's running on sort of an IV you could say from a bottle to the carb. I took the tank off to make it easyer to get the carb off.
i use a slave tank all the time,if you ever see a cheap broken petrol strimmer in your travels,buy it,grab it,the little tank makes a great slave

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
i use a slave tank all the time,if you ever see a cheap broken petrol strimmer in your travels,buy it,grab it,the little tank makes a great slave

aka .......weed-eater........string trimmer........trimmer.....gas trimmer.....

Good idea bandit!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
aka .......weed-eater........string trimmer........trimmer.....gas trimmer.....

Good idea bandit!
thats the one Dan,carb balancing,checking petcock etc...works a dream,small plastic,no rust and you can tape it to your tank for a road trial

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
When you say it "won't turn over" do you mean the motor appears locked? If so, it is probably hydrolock from the leaking carbs. Pull the plugs, turn it over a few times and change the oil. Then, fix the carb floats

Quite often people say the engine "won't turn over" and the mean it wont start.

eg. "It will crank and crank but will not turn over."

There is a couple of members here from south Africa,,they use "Swing" for crank,,,

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just figured it wouldn't hurt to clarify.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Quite often people say the engine "won't turn over" and the mean it wont start.

eg. "It will crank and crank but will not turn over."

There is a couple of members here from south Africa,,they use "Swing" for crank,,,

Or another one....it won't crank.....meaning it will not start or fire.

Terms that we grew up with ....

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Gee, that's almost like a record. 14 posts to success! Way to go!

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
OK after cleaning the carb for the 3ed time shes now running like a champ. Not sure what was dirty but its clean now. thanks
well done.

now it will crank[engine spins]

fire up[ignition at the plugs]

and runs perfect

edit,Allan,you cant use the phrase...swing...for that here.it means something completely different.....

you use up more calories,its pleasurable,and it improves your relationship with the neighbors

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
And then you use that innocent young woman to try to justify your behaviour.

I bet you were trying to look up her skirt too.

No point, I couldn't see anything.
CXP,that is one wicked accusation and could lead to further action being taken.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.