Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to drop a line to the forum. I got a cx from a guy at work for something to fiddle with in the garage. It was not running and I knew nothing about motorcycles.

As I was fumbling around the net I came across this sight and started reading. First things first I did was clean the carbs with the help of Larry's book. It made it super easy and I think my 11 year old could have rebuilt them following his instructions. Got the carbs back together and she ran but she ran like crap. The dreaded 5000 rpm miss.

Read some more and followed Shep's advice on the ignition side. New caps, new coils, and I got in line for an Ignitech buy with Cobram. She ran better but it only moved the miss up.

The fan sounded like it was on it's last leg so I did Shep's electric fan set up and took the carbs off and cleaned them again. The fan turned out good but the bike still ran like poo. Better but still not right.

I had to put a Mac exhaust on because the stock pipes were shot. Followed the advice on here and went 80 and 120. Through this I pulled the plugs and they read rich. Went back to the stock big jets and it still ran bad.

No more parts to swap so it was time to do the free stuff. Check the balance on the carbs and they were waaay off. Straightened that up and rode again. Smoother but still not right. Checked the boots for leaks and they were good. Damn what's left?

Pulled the seat off and pulled the airbox elbow off. I thought I might be squishing it cause I am a little bit fluffy.
Took it out again and there it was. This was the bike you guys rave about. Pulled nice and smooth all the way up. Finally.

I wanted to let you guys know that even though I didn't post a lot of questions and I am still a noob, I couldn't have got it running without the help of this forum. The knowledge and class around here make this the best forum that I have seen. I was ready to quit and sell it to the next sucker. Because of the info around here I stuck it out and got another one of these bikes back on the road and I am thrilled I did.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try to get some pics posted when I get some time. I am going to try your coolant flushing process this weekend. It would be nice to get the inside clean too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.