Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I pray for your recovery, physical and mental. Such a shame that it happened in the way it did.
I would welcome you as my guest if you're ever in the area, you'd have my guesthouse, a cold beer, and the key to my ride.
I'm certain that she is looking down on you, from heaven.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you everybody, now all the reasons why I must continue with our dreams, she was very supportive of my goal of living in Australia. If certain key issues are taken care of in the near future I may very well fly down there this next late winter. Naturally I will start looking for a bike, not making any commitments yet, still not quite ready to even ride, maybe in about another 4 days or so.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thank you everybody, now all the reasons why I must continue with our dreams, she was very supportive of my goal of living in Australia. If certain key issues are taken care of in the near future I may very well fly down there this next late winter. Naturally I will start looking for a bike, not making any commitments yet, still not quite ready to even ride, maybe in about another 4 days or so.
Dan, I am in South Australia, and may even be able to set you up with a CX or a GL1200.

My condolences to you and yours (and Mollies), and recover quickly.

If you make it down here, let me know.

David

·
Registered
558 Posts
So sorry for your loss. You're in my prayers, and I hope you find healing and peace.

TF

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Take good care of yourself!

/Sture

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Very sorry to hear about you ordeal, may God be with you and yours. Our lives can be turned around in a moment by the loss of a loved one, but the memories we have can be treasured forever. May you have a swift and complete recovery.

Steve D

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss Dan. Through this forum I feel I've come to know you even though we have never talked. I do believe when we pass on we go to a better place. Take of yourself and I imagine your back seat buddy would want you to go on, with your goals and dreams. Rick

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Some of the old timers may recall I had an infatuation with OZ a couple years ago when my son was in foster care, well he has been home now, has grown up, even has a drivers license, and he wants to do a real adventure in a new country. So we are working on it bit by bit. It would be really nice to find something unique, I am a firm believer in destiny and being in the right place at the right time, been here in Alaska since 1992, time to venture out a bit. For now I am healing, awfully stiff and sore after I stop moving so its a continuous game of moving, light exercise and rest. And now I must confront my employers for not being more supportive, no sick pay or insurance really sucks, at least the Victims of Violent Crimes in Alaska paid all my bills, thank God for them! But I had to buy new boots and Carhart work pants, EMT cut all my clothes off and PD for some reason cannot release my boots.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Sorry for your loss, it's hardest when they are special people I think. Yes, I remember well your ideas on Australia. Other than it's difficult to own guns there, and everyone is related to a convict, it seems like a nice place :). Seriously, glad to hear you and your son have a common goal, that's powerful and to be cherished. Consider setting up a crowd funding page, and letting us know about it on here, on a new thread. Might net you some money to help make it possible, from folks who know you and would like to help.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Just a bit of a guilty update, i spent the winter rebuilding a wrecked 93 gl1500, it was the last bike Mollie and i acquired, it was finished this spring, its her tribute bike,i had supposedly retired from oct until early april but i connected with another concrete company, been working for them since spring, better pay and conditions, aches and pains still plague me, i usually work just 6 hour days, i still drive a concrete mixer. I have been rebuilding their neglected fleet of concrete mixers.
They furnish all my tools. I will be building a new plant and shop fo
r them until winter, so just this last saturday on a whim i bought my tickets to Australia!

Will be leaving dec 2nd, two nights in Honolulu, probably in the swimming pool, no sight seeing, and then a 10 hour flight on a 787 Dreamliner to Sydney, and then a 2 hour or so hop to Adelaide, will rent a motel room for a few nights, renting a Rav 4 for at least a week, will probably buy an older wagon or campervan. Another thing is i will be hitting the vehicle and equipment auctions, looking for a large cargo truck with a lift gate so i can have a mobile shop, already have seen listings for them, i buy equipment from the Ritchie Brothers auctions in Alaska, i can also bid online.

I plan on no less than a month, or up to 3 months on the visa. Definitely will be looking for a bike or a project.
For some reason Adelaide seems to be calling out to me, so no Gold Coast, no Sydney. So just an update, maybe i will get a shop built there!

But i must do it for Mollie, like a motorcycle themed cafe and rest stop or motel. In her name, like "Mollies Cafe".

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,059 Posts
Somehow, I completed missed this thread. You have my sincere condolences.

R

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have been gone a long time, most of my posts were back in 2009.
I will probably have to log back into the cx 500 aussie site eventually.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I wish to express my sincere condolences. I read this post for the first time tonight. My prayers will be with you. May you find peace in the future.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Many thanks to all here and my apologies for not being around more often. But i may come back with a bang if the Australia trip turns up a few surprises.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Wow! No BS, as I was logging on just now I was thinking we haven't heard from you in some time and I was going to post if anyone had heard from you! And ask if AU had become your new home yet. Good luck with all your plans and possibilities.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Like others, I just saw this for the first time today. I'm speechless and grieve with you. Please accept the sincere wishes for solace and recovery. There are a lot of people praying for you. I hope you find what you're looking for in Australia.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I am hoping her spirit is with me. Last month i went to her favorite bingo hall we both went to, and not only did i win the big prize of $500 on the late evening game i won it twice! She moved the balls or something, cause I NEVER win bingo. The locals were knew her gave me some weird looks, to win $1,000 in less than an hour.
Its a small bingo hall in Wasilla Alaska.

Yes she will be with me in Australia, i will make sure of that.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Have a good time in OZ. I am sure Mollie's Cafe will happen and each morning when you ride up there will be a smile on your face. Mollie's influence on your son will always be there for you to see. Let us know where you end up. I hope to have pie and coffee there one day.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I just finished the return trip, originally i was planning on 4 weeks, but first week of january the fares all went up, but by the 12th they returned to normal, like the leg from Hawaii to Anchorage went from around $250 to $670! Even the return from Brisbane to Hawaii was higher but i got it all sorted out.
Leaving Alaska dec 2, stopping for two nights in Hawaii, just to get pool time and acclimated to a warmer temp, arriving in Sydney on the 5th, will then take the flight from Sydney to Adelaide, probably won't even leave the Sydney terminal. Found a beach cottage in Adelaide, if i can book it then i will stay there for 2 or 3 weeks. Will drive down to Geelong, Melbourne and then back up to Brisbane, stay in or around the Gold Coast for 3 to 7 days, whatever, do the theme parks, sleep on the beach, whatever. Two major auction yards, one is in Geelong, other in Brisbane, later i will be at one or the other, they are in march and november, they are the Ritchie Brothers auction, i buy heavy equipment and cars from them real cheap.

Leaving Oz on the 12th of january, overnight again in Hawaii at the closest airport motel, same one outbound, all booked and paid for, not a Hawaii fan, not in the middle of winter anyway, too many people, like also why i am avoiding Sydney, but i might be there New Years Eve.

Still working out the nit pic stuff like what kind of car to rent, probably for the stay in Adelaide a small compact. But after that i may need a bigger suv or even a campervan.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts