Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an exciting night last night. I got my 79 CX500 Custom that started as a $50 pile of rust back onto 2 wheels.

I am not sure about the handlebars though. I want a nice comfortable bike. The bars seem a bit narrow to me. I have fairly broad shoulders. They also seem to be up just a bit too high. Oh course I am imagining where my rear will be since there is no seat. For the record, I am 6'1, athletic build with broader than average shoulders. Any suggestions for a comfortable set of handle bars? I do not want to lean way forward or anything.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had an exciting night last night. I got my 79 CX500 Custom that started as a $50 pile of rust back onto 2 wheels.

I am not sure about the handlebars though. I want a nice comfortable bike. The bars seem a bit narrow to me. I have fairly broad shoulders. They also seem to be up just a bit too high. Oh course I am imagining where my rear will be since there is no seat. For the record, I am 6'1, athletic build with broader than average shoulders. Any suggestions for a comfortable set of handle bars? I do not want to lean way forward or anything.
I agree about the handlebars. They do look like they would be uncomfortable. Maybe if you spread them apart a little and then pushed them forward some so your arms would be able to stretch a bit. Not so far that you are leaning but just so when you are sitting straight up on the bike your arms are only slightly bent.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
I'd wait on deciding about the bars until you get it more together. You might be surprised at how they feel. I like the "arms resting down a bit" feeling myself. But you are much taller, so I expect your arms are longer too. There are decent alternatives that still have the draw back, rather than the clubmans or daytonas.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
As Joel mentioned, you probably need to wait until you get the seat mounted and footpegs in place to get the ergonomics

adjusted for your build. Those bars you have pictured, if everthing else remained stock, I would say you would be cramped.

Good luck on the restoration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.