Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Share your G8 Stator & Ignitech Conversion from a CDI model.......require some help

Hey all,

So yes, some of our current CX fraternity have been quite helpful in various ways about my project, however there is still some confusion on my behalf and due to this being my first major conversion and partial 'Triple Bypass' process I need more information and confirmation.

So.....I've had charging issues with my '81 CX Custom (Australian Model) and decided I would upgrade the Stator from it's current G47 & CDI setup to an Electrosport G8 Stator along with my spare Ignitech unit. My concern is, that no Forums or information I've researched has given me complete details about the whole conversion process. Through some recent helpful advice, I've managed to find out that even though the new Stator doesn't have new Pickups like the old Stator, was told that I still need to keep those Pickups to use with the new G8 Stator (the pickups are the two metal Hi & Lo Pickups mounted on the inside of the rear case). Originally my research didn't mention anything about needing to keep these when converting, nor have I seen photos that contained the G8 Stator, that also included these Pickups probably due to the fact that they were mostly photographed from TI Models I'm assuming.

My concern / issue is how to go about adding / including the (4) extra wires (2 for each Pickup) into the current G8 Stator wires and rubber grommet that Electrosport supplied?

Does anyone have any photos of their conversion process if they have done the same conversion? I'm needing some detailed info in hooking up the new Electrosport G8 Stator with the Ignitech unit.

Appreciate your help, and if you have photos would be a bonus.

Cheers,
Tyron

(Below is the new G8 Stator fitted - photo is tilted so Top of Box is on the right - Photo shows where Pickups were located for Right & Left)
image1-1.JPG

(This photo below shows the current Wiring as supplied by Electrosport for the Stator - only the 3 pin White Connector with the 3 Yellow Wires and the Neutral Switch Wire that connects underneath the Engine and only One other wire 'Green' to connect)
image2-1.JPG

(Below is just a photo of the old G47 Stator with the 2 Old Pickups still attached Left and Right)
image3-1.JPG

.....OK GUYS..HERE IS AN UPDATE OF WHERE I'M AT.......

So, firstly....appreciate the feedback and help so far but I do have to say I really need more detailed info targeted towards the G8 from Electrosport I bought and the Ignitech I'm about to connect. As for the reply below saying "why am I making it more difficult than it is".......well sorry sir, I'm obviously not as much of an 'electrical genius' as yourself. Things aren't just that obvious to me, sorry. And the last thing I want to do is risk stuffing my electrical system and creating more work and expense for myself, thus I want to make sure it's exactly right.

So here we go....... I've installed the new stator, kept the Pickups required that sit above the new stator and redirected the wiring for those through the new Grommet supplied with the new G8 Stator (to me, it was the best option). I've now have the Ignitech ready to install and I have installed another Ignitech to my other bike which still uses the old original Stator with Pulsar, however I'm a little unsure of what wires need to connect to what terminals on the new project here which consists of the G8 Stator and Ignitech. Below are the photos of the wires I need to connect, if someone knows exactly what goes where please do reply with some detailed info (i.e.: Blue Wire goes to Yellow for example) as this will be of great assistance to me, thanks.

Ignitech & G8 connection puzzle.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Sent you a PM on the Oz forum detailing some of this Stuff Tyron. That's why I didn't reply to your emails. ;}

He's right though, I think we need a more detailed write up on this.

Tyrons stator has been supplied fitted with grommet and plug for an 'original' type application. You need to refit his original grommet to get the extra 4 pickup wires out of the motor and up to the harness plug under the seat, while making sure they aren't broken or rubbing on the rotor.

I think this is the bit we don't have any ready info on.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
they are still attached to the old stator wiring
he needs to remove them with wiring and install in the rear of the case

And there is write up on this in the forum.......I just don't know where it has been placed......wiki??

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Thanks Murray
Thats the one

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Murray, as you can see in the last photo, the pickups are still currently connected to the old Stator. I haven't removed them yet, as I needed to see some clarification if someone had already done this 'G8 Stator & ignitech' conversion previously (particularly with some photos and details).
Cheers,
Tyron

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey CXPHREAK,

Yep you did....thanks.....however I wanted to keep researching to see if someone had perhaps created a detailed process of this particular conversion (i.e.: G8 Stator and Ignitech Conversion) before I start cutting wires and resoldering connectors, etc. so I know exactly 100% of what I'm doing and how it should look. So far I've found no real detailed info on this conversion, the link you supplied here on this forum definitely helps however there are still a few details lacking that relate to my 'actual' G8 Stator wiring and how this is all connected up to my Ignitech. But what I've seen here will help a little, I'll just have to step through it slowly.......since it's the first time I've done this sort of thing I want to make sure it's done right (I don't really want to have to pull the engine apart again).

I still think it will be neater and better for me to use the 'New Grommet' supplied already with the G8 Stator and try to create 4 new holes to feed the wires through which will be better then using the old Grommet and trying to seal up the empty holes and mess up the nice wiring done already on the new Stator. :) So I'm going to attempt that I think.

Cheers,
Tyron

Sent you a PM on the Oz forum detailing some of this Stuff Tyron. That's why I didn't reply to your emails. ;}

He's right though, I think we need a more detailed write up on this.

Tyrons stator has been supplied fitted with grommet and plug for an 'original' type application. You need to refit his original grommet to get the extra 4 pickup wires out of the motor and up to the harness plug under the seat, while making sure they aren't broken or rubbing on the rotor.

I think this is the bit we don't have any ready info on.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You are over complicating this
The G8 stator is now just a power supply for you..........3 yellow wires, thats all
The pickups need to be installed in the rear of the case as they are a signal for the ignitech
The link to the write up is detailed plenty
Follow the instructions, put your pick ups in and run the wires through the rear of the case, connect to ignitech and fire your bike up

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I just ran through the link again, plenty of picks of G8 stator, pick ups to keep, wiring and so on
Everything you need to know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If anyone can assist further.....with detailed info of which wires need to connect to each other would be appreciated. Unfortunately, it is not that obvious to me with little knowledge of Electrical systems. (See original post just edited with additional photos). Tyron (Motobassman)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just ran through the link again, plenty of picks of G8 stator, pick ups to keep, wiring and so on
Everything you need to know
Thanks Kameron......however all the info I have managed to search does not clearly have any detailed info or photos showing the actual connections between the Ignitech and G8 Stator. Sorry, to me it's not over-complicating things, it's a simple matter of me not having enough knowledge of how the Electrical systems work and so I don't want to bugger things for myself and create more time and expense. Hope that makes sense. If interested, and you have some help and positive feedback, I have added a new photo and update of where I'm currently at. Or......if you know the exact links that can help me by all means please leave them here for me to find and click on otherwise this doesn't help me, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
There are no connections between an ignitech and a G8 {or any} stator. It is the left and right high and low speed pickups that need to be kept. The only thing the G8 ends up wired to is the voltage regulator as it only charges the battery.

You only need to install the three wires for the G8 without breaking the connections to the pickups.

You don't need the advance pulsers either.

Cut the three yellow wires on the old stator as close as you can to the stator, ditto the blue and white wires. The new G8 will only have three yellow wires to feed back through. Make sure no wiring can rub on the rotor or get caught between the stator and rear case when bolted down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some further clarification

There are no connections between an ignitech and a G8 {or any} stator. It is the left and right high and low speed pickups that need to be kept. The only thing the G8 ends up wired to is the voltage regulator as it only charges the battery.

You only need to install the three wires for the G8 without breaking the connections to the pickups.

You don't need the advance pulsers either.

Cut the three yellow wires on the old stator as close as you can to the stator, ditto the blue and white wires. The new G8 will only have three yellow wires to feed back through. Make sure no wiring can rub on the rotor or get caught between the stator and rear case when bolted down.
Hey mate,

So seems you haven't quite read my posts correctly......so just to clarify again. I have already removed my old Stator, installed the new G8 Stator now (i.e.: see photos at the beginning of this original post). I have removed the Advance Pulsars altogether, they are no longer sitting behind the rear cover, nothing is there anymore as I found that these are not needed as mentioned. The only things from the old setup that I've left are the Left & Right (i.e.: High and Low Speed Pickups) which still sit inside and above the new G8 Stator.

So, as per my recent photos which I've included underneath the original post, you'll see the wires I'm asking about that need to connect. You'll see I have the Wires that come from the Ignitech and the Wires that are coming from the Rear of the Engine (which include the three Yellow Wires from the G8, the Green Wire with Bullet connector and then the 4 wires that come from the original Left & Right Pickups). So I'm trying to establish which of these I need to connect up to where. Hope that makes more sense?

Thanks.
T

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK.... can you see the colour coding of those 4 wires?

If so I should be able to match colour code to number per this chart. The green earth is pin 5 for starters.

Hey mate......thanks for this info. I think I'm slowly getting it sorted :) So obviously the Pickups that I've left in the original CX white rectangular 'male' connector match up with the Ignitech white rectangular 'female' connector for the High & Low Speed pickups. The 3 Yellow Wires are also now connected up as they should.....and the Orange Wire from the Ignitech is connected to the Right Coil as per the diagram chart that came with the Ignitech along with the White wire connected to the Left Coil and the Green is connected to the Black & White wire (ignore the bare part of that wire, I am going to repair before final connection :) ......(See photo below regarding the Coil wires, etc.)

IMG_4629.JPG

I also have the two Red Wires coming from the Ignitech connected as suggested by Ignitech via the Brakelight wire.......so the only wires I have left to work out is......

The GREEN wire with Bullet connector (see photo below) that comes from the G8 Stator, am I to assume this is a 'Ground Wire' that needs to connect to the last remaining wire in the White Rectangular connector (BLUE WIRE) which Ignitech states is also a Ground Wire? Do these two connect together? If so I obviously have to remove the Bullet connector and change to a flat Pin Connector to slide into the White Rectangular plastic housing.

IMG_4622-1.JPG

The only other wires left not connected to anything after that would be the two BLUE wires that are combined into a single White plastic connector which I assumed are only for used if I were still runnning the original CDI unit?

IMG_4627.JPG

Plus, if you see in the photo that shows the Right & Left Coil and Black power connections, there is one single wire coming from the original CX harness which looks to be White & Red (or it could be Light Green & Red) wire that is not allocated to anything (See top photo).........does this need to be connected to something?

Thanks for the assistance.
(Tyron)

·
Registered
851 Posts
The light green and red wire comes from the neutral switch on the bottom of the rear cover and connects to a female bullet connector near the air filter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey CXphreak, ......so I've connected everything up, bolted up the engine & it's almost there. It's running (which is a good start)....but it's not idling right. I've dropped it over to my chosen mechanic who is good with the old stuff but after some tweaking today we just haven't been able to diagnose the problem as yet. We're definitely leaning towards it being electrical but wondering if you or anyone else who has done this type of conversion before (i.e.: upgraded stator & Ignitech) has possibly seen this problem? I've attached a little video that will hopefully show the problem, seems to go through the rev range but idle rough like there is inconsistent spark?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts