Honda CX 500 Forum banner

several steps back tonight.

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  LowLife1220 
#1 ·
while i was waiting for my brake pads i thought i would double check if i still had a coolant leak. i brought the bike to the center of the drive way and started it up. after 10 min. of running the tstat opened and yes sirie! coolant leaking in multiple locations. i tried to seal it up with the high temp silicone i got for this but it was still leaking. also when the cooling fan engages it draws enough power to stall the motor unless the rpms are up. still didn't stop me from wanting to take it for a spin. took it for a little test drive down the block and things were great there. until i pulled back into the driveway and all the burning coolant began to steam up on me. while i let it cool off i found a puddle of gas under the bike. i'm pouring fuel out of the left side overflow.

so from being 1 part away from being done i now have to pull the carbs and the radiator and cross over pipes back off. replace the fan with a smaller one, seal all the leaks and figure out why the damn left side float decided to stick.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
i dug into it a little bit more this morning. some of the coolant leaks appear to be my fault from reassembly. the tstat was turned in the housing blocking the offending port. also when i took it apart one of the o rings didn't go back in and the cross over pipe on the left side went in backwards. i found the o ring on the shop floor and it slid right on and sealed tightly.

the cooling fan was an aftermarket off a honda civic. when i shopped for it i only looked at the diameter of the fan to make sure it fit. this fan draws about 7-8 amps at engagment. in the world i'm used to making stuff for 8 amps is nothing on a system. i need to think smaller so i scavenged some small cooling fans out of a computer case that i was going to throw out.

the fuel leak is the one that i'm stumped on. it was a very big leak that i cannot drive on to hopefully get the float needles to seat. i'll have to pull the bowl off and check if theres something jammed in there. this gives me an opportunity to fix some things i was going to let slide as far as the asthetics of the tank and the carbs. as well as the mounting of the radiator. i had to get a little creative with the mounting because this rad. is smaller than the original and the fan was deeper and would rub against the camshaft.

i am pretty happy with the test drive though. i learned that i can think on the fly and correct or bypass any little issue that comes up at the time.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
i did the math. its an 80 watt fan and a 12v system. 6.66 amps. i just nabbed 2 pc fans that together are less then 1/2 an amp. fingers crossed the air flow will be enough. god i wish this bike was air cooled

Discussion starter · #9 ·
i know it is just frustration to have a system with so many freakin' problems.

i got the radiator remounted and the coolant pipes reattached and sealed. i have enough clearance at the top of the radiator to mount the fans with the radiator still on the bike. at some point i'll get a different radiator thats made for this model year so tuesday once i get the brake pads i'll turn my attention to the fuel tank and carb to see where its leaking from the tank and why the float valve is not doing anything. still looking to be done on Thanksgiving.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
i've had this bike just about a year. its come a long way but its still got a ways to go. most of the people i work with give me shit on a daily basis like i'll never get it done and i've spent too much time and money on it. its irritating because i am reasonably proud of the progress i have made on this having absolutely NO experience working on motorcycles or anything carbuerated. i get frustrated easily when i can see the finish line but then i get thrown into reverse gear. i'll keep plugging away at it and hopefully soon have something i can drive to work and give them all the finger about.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Fuel leak: As already pointed out, you have a sticking float, or these is some debris under the needle valve in that carb. Sometimes tapping with a rubber mallet will help, too. Worse case scenario is you'll have to pull the carb, remove the bowl, and clean it out a bit, not forgetting to clean the needle valve.

didn't consider tapping the carb to clear the debris.

about an hour ago when i pulled the fan off the radiator i had to cut the ties that held it on. after i reassembled everything i filled the radiator and saw some coolant trickle out of the spots the ties were run thru. i'm going to keep going forward on everything. if it continues to leak i'll try some stop leak in the radiator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.