Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for your tips on separating a Yamaha mechanical seal for Shep method. I have watched all the videos and read all I could find. For my first attempt, I practiced on an old Honda seal, heated on stove then with heat gun and after a minute or so it popped and came apart nicely. But it was also 40 years old. Tried the same on a new Yamaha seal I had, and it was very stubborn, started on stove top and nothing was happening. Hit it with the heat gun, still nothing. Tried a lighter around the base of the cup and finally it came loose. But this took several minutes and the heat had deteriorated the seal and the base cracked out in one area. I was only applying gentle upward pressure on the seal to remove. I have another Yamaha seal I want to try and separate, plus two in the mail from Murray's website. Is one easier to separate than the other? I was thinking for my next attempt to clamp the seal down on an aluminum plate to even out the heat and heat from below with a torch so my hands are free to apply gentle upward pressure. Any tips/tricks/advise are greatly appreciated!!! My GL is waiting anxiously for it's new seal and as the bike is completely done I don't want to pull the engine. No leaks last year but of course this year started to leak like a sieve. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,876 Posts
I did mine on the electric stove element. I had a piece of 1/4" steel between the element and the seal. Stove element on high and some patience required. If it doesn't separate easily use more patience until it does.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, I'll have another go at it on the weekend, maybe just bad luck the first time around.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, put an aluminum plate over the burner on my trusty Coleman camp stove, held the cup with a pair of vice grips and made a handle out of wire around the spring on the seal. Seal came out within a minute nice and clean!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts