·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take it that you've used that or a similar one before and like it enough to post it, seems like I would just need to solder leads onto those terminals

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
No. This unit appears top be the same one but the source is China. I'd like to know about the quality and usability to.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Until some one tries one no one will know.

Consider this though,There must be tens of thousands of Motorcycles in China using these?

If I hadn't researched and ,"Guinea Pigged" some cheap CDI coils years ago I highly doubt any CX owners would have known about them.

Sometimes you just have to take a leap-of-faith :)

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
I have asked a good number of the sellers of the inexpensive reg/recs listed like that one as to whether they were MOSFET or not. Not one could confirm that the reg/recs were actually MOSFET - just that they were "compatible" with bikes that came with a MOSFET or "a suitable replacement" for bikes/batteries that should be using a MOSFET style reg/rec.

I have a suspicion based on my enquiries that they're the older style of reg/rec with some misleading advertising.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Murray made a post a long time ago (he's always on the lookout for the best value MOSFET), he said a lot of these coming out of China aren't actually MOSFET.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I have no doubt this is true,however people should not fixate on,"Mosfet" R/Rs.There's nothing wrong with standard,"Series" R/Rs if you look after the main culprit of,"Any" R/R destruction which is lack of servicing of the main HT connector.

Through lack of care corrosion bites into this connector.This raises the resistance and the charging system has to try and compensate putting a strain on other parts of the system like the R/R and Battery.At some point this can lead to overheating of this Main connector and the plastic can melt and the contacts and short leading to burning out the Stator coils but usually a failure of the R/R before this happens and in extreme cases and Electrical fire.

This is just one picture of the extreme but there's loads out there to prove my point,

Auto part Fuel line Hand Automotive fuel system

Here's what happens.Through lack of knowledge people assume electrical connectors sit silently and never fail.Wrong.

All Electrical connectors suffer decay.This decay is accelerated by condensation and moisture in the Atmosphere and even more so if the Motorcycle is ridden in areas where's there's more,"Salts" in the air like coastal areas.Also,"Winterizing" does not help this problem if the connectors have not been serviced and treated as electrical connectors need regular current through which slows corrosion.

So do yourself a favour and treat electrical connectors just like any other part of the machine e.g check/clean and service them.I use a combination of Switch Cleaner(Dexoit/Servisol) and then ACF50 and if the contacts need corrosion removing a Jeweller's small screwdriver with some 500 grit wrapped aound the blade and scrape off the corrosion and then blast with Switch cleaner.

Happy New Merry :p

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
If improperly charged they tend to start fires
OK but that's not evidence.Can you give me some empirical evidence and explain the physics behind your statements?

All batteries can start fires if improperly charged.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
It's a good article and I've read quite a few like it over the years.Although not my main job I've added college certificates in Electronic servicing and Domestic house wiring and Portable Appliance testing to my Work Portfolio.

I cannot find any mention in the Article about there being a specific need to use a,"Mosfet" R/R on Lithium batteries.Also having looked at sales of Lithium Motorcycle batteries many times on Ebay/Amazon none of the vendors make any specific mention that the batteries should only be used with an upgraded R/R system.

As I've said before there's nothing wrong with upgrading to a Mosfet R/R if a user so wishes but a well looked after Standard R/R can still do a fine job.

At least the Main 3-wire heavy duty connector from the Stator that is the main cause of failure of R/Rs is easy to get to on a CX/GL.On my Suzy SV650 I have to remove the complete rear-end rider+passenger seats and fairing!

·
Registered
24,495 Posts
shep i have had failures of ballistic anti gravity and shoria with properly serviced stock regs

and after being refused warranty a few times at 130 each time i use mofsets and have not had much problems over the years

and have never been refused warranty since

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You do seem to have had some bad luck there Murray so stick to your guns.However I wonder how many Cafe-Racer/Custom builds have used Lithium batteries for their free orientation and weight saving and don't even know about Mosfet R/Rs and are most likely running fine.

As technology moves on even Lithium batteries we have now will soon be on their way out in certain uses and I'm certain with things like,"Tessla" cars etc the new batteries will be available for Motorcycles.

Fisker Claims New Solid-State Battery Patents Could Lead to 500-Mile EV Range, 1-Minute Charge Times - The Drive

Future batteries, coming soon: Charge in seconds, last months and power over the air - Pocket-lint

Quite a few car makers in the UK/Europe are stopping production of Fossil fueled vehicles by around 2025 ish.I bet in a few years we can buy a battery the size of a cigarette packet that can be used on a Motorcycle :O

·
Registered
24,495 Posts
shep unfortunately there are more than a few issues with lithium batteries

and in some cases (dohc honda) you cant change the reg to a mofset so you just have to bite the bullet and hope it works

i am building 2x cb750 dohc right now that as far as i know there is no mofset replacement for and am using shoria batteries in them both

they are so small yet deliver 220 cca and i can hide them so easily even in a brat style bike

Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Would the R/R from this kit be a better deal for you?

Honda CB750 SOHC Road Race Alternator System RPK-1750 | Electrex World Ltd

It's not a Mosfet but they claim..........

Kit includes our latest and most advanced series regulator/rectifier especially made for the race system. It enables the stator to run at a temperature of 25% less than a conventional shunt or Mosfet regulator/rectifier. The unit actually turns off at high speed depending on the load requirement, thus releasing more engine horsepower and enhancing reliability.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts