Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Seeking standard piston ring set for cx500TC

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CXPHREAK 
#1 ·
Hello, I am a new registrant to this forum. Recently got a 30 year non running cx500TC fired up. Low compression both cylinders (55 to 65 psi), high crankcase pressure, white smoke from exhaust and pumping oil through exhaust system at rpm above idle. At idle speed no smoke and sounds great. Suspect rings frozen in piston grooves an turbocharger shaft seals deteriorated. Am interested in advice on any possible source of replacement standard piston rings that will fit this engine and source for turbo overhaul parts. I understand no direct availability from Honda. Also is there anywhere available a list of interchangeable engine parts between the cx500TC, cx500, and GL500 engines (or even the larger 650 engine series). All replies and suggestions welcome regarding serviceable engine and frame parts available for this bike including salvage yard parts.

#2 ·
I'll move this to the Turbo section. For piston rings, member Jhovel on the forum has new ring sets, but I'm not sure they are for the Turbo's as well as the other variants. He is in Australia. Search in the Buy/Sell section for his listings. Welcome aboard !!

#7 ·
FYI, The above link comes up as an unsecure site with warnings of hackers. Also states there is no security certificate. Not sure if this is what is intended, but you may want to resolve the issue.

#6 ·
Much obliged for your quick response JC. Shipping options information received. Removal and tear down of engine now in progress to determine all needed replacement parts. Is a complete engine gasket kit available for the CX500TC at your store? Expect it wise to plan for total gasket and seal replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.