Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was shopping for my GL500, I remember seeing at least two Interstate units that appeared to have a different seating than the norm. From the pictures, they appeared to be using what looked like a GL1000 Goldwing seat, like the one shown below:

Has anyone adapted this kind of seating to one of our bikes? I'd really like it on my Trinity.

TIA!

Bob Witte

http:/www.TheTrinityTrike.com

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A local trike maker I know I'm sure told me the Goldwing GL1000 seats are a straight replacement for Stock CX500s.

Well, that's good enough for me to get one and find out for sure. If/when I do, I'll report back here.

Bob Witte

http:/www.TheTrinityTrike.com

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yes I've heard the same thing about the Goldwing seats fitting the CX models.

HOWEVER: A member here tried THAT king/queen seat in your pic on his CX and does not like it....that of course is not to say that you wouldn't like it.

But his complaint (and you can see it in the pic) is that it pushes the driver up farther toward the front of the bike than the standard CX seat.....of course he's tall maybe 6'2"-6'3" in height.

Most of the complaints about the stock CX seat are that they don't allow you to "slide back" far enough....so that seat in your pic wouldn't make much sense IF you feel that way about the stock seat you have now.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Seems like the best way to get that kind of seat is to cannibalize it if you have a gl500.

Take the seat cover off the gl pans and take the cover of the full seat and cut it right behind the driver passenger hump and move it to the other seat. Then do the same for the rear. The hard part would be finding a person to sew up covers for the gl.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I've heard the same thing about the Goldwing seats fitting the CX models.

HOWEVER: A member here tried THAT king/queen seat in your pic on his CX and does not like it....that of course is not to say that you wouldn't like it.

But his complaint (and you can see it in the pic) is that it pushes the driver up farther toward the front of the bike than the standard CX seat.....of course he's tall maybe 6'2"-6'3" in height.

Most of the complaints about the stock CX seat are that they don't allow you to "slide back" far enough....so that seat in your pic wouldn't make much sense IF you feel that way about the stock seat you have now.

Good insights, thanks! Positionally, the GL500 is darn near perfect for me. My concern is butt comfort not position. And I want maximum comfort for the wife, not so much myself.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like the best way to get that kind of seat is to cannibalize it if you have a gl500.

Take the seat cover off the gl pans and take the cover of the full seat and cut it right behind the driver passenger hump and move it to the other seat. Then do the same for the rear. The hard part would be finding a person to sew up covers for the gl.

I'll keep that one in mind as well!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Find something wide enough that will look right on the bike and be comfortable. The mods part of it isn't so terrible, I have a Road King seat on mine. We built some framing for the underneath, and a small piece for the front to hook to.

Love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.