Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to modify my seat to make it slimmer and more narrow. Has any one cut and reshaped there seat pan then added new foam and recovered it. If so what kind of foam did you use and how did you attach your seat cover.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Why cut and reshape the seat pan when you can cut the foam down? I believe there is an adhesive spray you can use to hold the cover on the foam. Some companies like harley use thread hooked to the seat and tied off on the seat pan.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I have done both methods.

I recommend you cut the foam way down and then add a layer of much stiffer density foam. That way you won't bottom out on the seat pan, which is much harsher than having stiff foam.

This is much easier than totally replacing all the foam and having to shape the back rise of the front seat.

What you can also do is cut the center of the original foam you left of top of the seat foam and put a gell pad on top of the hard foam in the section you cut completely out to keep it comfortable. It will conform to the shape of your butt in about 15 minutes of riding, before your butt gets sore. Leave the old foam on the edges so it compresses and makes the seat seem even lower at a stop sign.

My brother's seat was rebuild several time to keep his butt happy.

Also, if you glue anything to the foam, make sure you use a glue designed for foam or you can cause it to deteriorate.

Finally, you want to put a thin layer of plastic over all of the foam to keep it from soaking up water in rain or when washing the bike.

I usually use those really thin plastic bags from a store. They are flexible and stretch enough to keep from ripping or tearing under the seat cover and aren't so thick as to make creases under the seat cover.

Years ago I did upholstery work part-time. If you ever need sofa springs 8 way hand tied call me ...

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
If you ever need sofa springs 8 way hand tied call me ...
That sounds SOOOO wrong, David.....just sayin'

·
Registered
724 Posts
i pulled my seat cover off. trimmed down ALOT of the foam and make a new cover for it. i used professional grade spray adhesive and it still didn't hold in the corner. so i used an air stapler to secure the underside. have a look on my blog if you want to see what it looks like now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why cut and reshape the seat pan when you can cut the foam down? I believe there is an adhesive spray you can use to hold the cover on the foam. Some companies like harley use thread hooked to the seat and tied off on the seat pan.
The seat pan is to wide for the look I want. I want to narrow the seat pan to expose the frame rails under the seat. The problem is if I cut down the seat pan I will lose my attachment points for the seat cover. I was thinking about using screws or rivets but was wondering if anybody might have a better idea.

I'd also like to use black jean material to cover it but have no idea how to go about making jeans waterproof.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i pulled my seat cover off. trimmed down ALOT of the foam and make a new cover for it. i used professional grade spray adhesive and it still didn't hold in the corner. so i used an air stapler to secure the underside. have a look on my blog if you want to see what it looks like now.
I had thought about staples but I don't have an air compresser and didn't figure a regular staple gun would work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.