Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Doing a seat hoop/loop on my CX (along with a custom seat build) and I'm curious on a few things:

1. I'd like to make sure I have room for a passenger -- any suggestions for the minimum seat size I should be considering to allow ample room for a passenger? I realize everyone is a different "size," but ya.

2. When building this to accommodate two riders, I'm a bit concerned about the structural integrity. Any suggestions there? I'll be keeping a triangular mount similar to where the stock shock mount is, but based on the length of the seat in the question above, I'm not quite sure how much more (if anything) will be needed in the way of support.

3. From what I think I've seen...the stock square tubing on the rear end is simply pressed around the round-bar frame, and then welded together. So that can technically be removed to expose all round bar on the frame, correct? I'm trying to decided if I should remove the squared tubing in that section and then create a new shock mount, or if the square tubing should be left alone, blending the new round tubing into it. Any suggestions there?

Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,480 Posts
The original seat was intended for 2 people so that would probably be a good starting point for how long and how well supported it needs to be.
Something I've noticed a few times is when people replace the rear of the frame they want to shave off everything above the main horizontal frame members and sometimes don't consider that those parts (which support the fender and the seat) are there to provide clearance for the wheel when the suspension is fully collapsed and the top of the tire is higher than the frame. This means that if you hit a bump (especially with 2 people on the seat) the tire can hit the inside of the fender (even worse if the seat is the fender). It is a good idea to set the shocks at their softest preload and use a ratchet strap between the frame and swingarm to pull it them to full compression during the mock up stage of design to make sure there will be enough room.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts