Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My seat cover is in perfect shape, except it leaks when rained on, and the foam soaks up the water, sitting on it for the next few days is like sitting on a wet sponge.
It looks like the cover is stapled to the plastic base. How difficult would it be to remove the cover, seal the seams, on the inside, with silicone or something similar, and re-staple the cover back on.

Any one ever done this. Or have any other ideas?

Thanks, Hobbit

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
perfect shape, except it leaks when rained on

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree about it being perfect.

It sounds a wee bit err 'porous' to me

perhaps fitting a new cover would help?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Yes it's fairly easy to remove the seat cover.... I spent some time last week on mine. My 82 cx500 c has triangular tabs which are a royal pia in my opinion. just bend them open, cut your fingers and remove vinyl... With Staples, just pull the staples with a pair of hog ring pliers and the seat cover will come right off as it is not glued. I would try waterproofing the seams with a common camping supply tent seam sealer. This might also be a good time to have an uhpolsterer sew a rienforcing strip over the old staple holes or fix any other "thread" issues. Putting it back together is just stapling it back on... take it easy, I'd start at the front and work back along the sides. Start tight as it's easier to loosen as you go along. I'm not sure about the GL but the contours on my custom make it one of the easier seats to cover in my experience.

Wet Foam will quickly rust out the seat pan so i'd keep it dry... Maybe a raincoat for the seat. Every CX seat I've sean has worn stitching on the seams.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
My seat cover is in perfect shape, except it leaks when rained on, and the foam soaks up the water, sitting on it for the next few days is like sitting on a wet sponge.
It looks like the cover is stapled to the plastic base. How difficult would it be to remove the cover, seal the seams, on the inside, with silicone or something similar, and re-staple the cover back on.

Any one ever done this. Or have any other ideas?

Thanks, Hobbit
Something is missing. remove the seat cover and let the foam dry. Recover the foam with a heavy plastic wrap. Then reinstall the cover fabric. Your seat will dry much faster after getting wet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts