Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did we lose the ability to search for keywords, in specific threads?
Or, am I not looking in the right place?

I know the thread, where I want to look. But, at 43 pages, I don't want to have to read every post.

Thanks,
EJ

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Not quite what you are looking for, but have you tried a search in the specific forum with the date range set to that of the thread you want to search? You also might try a search for your specific term but include the thread title, in quotes, in your search.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I knew the date range, I could narrow down the manual searching.
After 3-1/2 years, and 38 pages, that's not an option.

Even, just a few pages, it's easier to search for a keyword, in the specific thread. It weeds out the nonsensical replies, etal.

Thanks, anyway.

EJ

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
EJ if I search for nonsensical I get nine hits. If I search for nonsensical "Search for keyword in thread" I only get your current thread. May help?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I notice that despite putting a search term in "" the search still hits on an individual word of the phrase in "". How is the search for exact supposed to work?
As an example I searched "Exact match" but one of the hits was :
Colors for GL 650

General Discussion

My feelings exactly Jay. I see so many people trying to match or keep the bike in absolute original, like they are entering it in a Concours bike show for winning a trophy. Love the quote in motorcycle ads for "Original tires and paint". Holy crap its a 30 year old bike and still has...

I wouldn't call that an exact match!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm such an idiot. I wasn't paying attention to the list of results. It, actually, shows the replies that contain the search keyworsd(s). And, with the thread title listed, it allows one to read through the list of results, and find the 'known' thread.

However, thanks, for the search tips. I, also, did not know you could combine the search parameters. Such as, keyword and other words in quotes. Could prove to be handy.

Thanks,
EJ

·
Administrator
428 Posts
Heya guys here is a quick tutorial on Search.

Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.

Enter a search term or phrase and click enter on your keyboard or click the magnifying glass.

Advanced Search
To narrow down search results, click on “Advanced Search” after clicking the search bar.

This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from.

Enter your search criteria and click “Search “ at the bottom.

You can also access advanced search by clicking the 3 vertical dots near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Advanced “Search”

Search Specific Forum
If you want to search a specific section, navigate to the forum section before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Search Specific Discussion Thread
If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Check out our other FAQ's here:

Jeff M

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
The search function allows for the use of " " for an exact match. What exactly is meant by exact match? See post #5 above.

·
Administrator
428 Posts
Full statement on the Advanced Search page is:

Use " " for exact match, + for must include (no space), - for must exclude (no space)

So if you search "exact+match" you'll get those words together only

Kevin

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Right, exact match doesn't mean that the search willl be for the word entered only, but will include words containing the same letter sequence. For example a search for "exact" will also return the word exactly.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Search Specific Forum
If you want to search a specific section, navigate to the forum section before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Search Specific Discussion Thread
If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Jeff M
I'm sorry. But, this wording doesn't make sense. I can't make the options appear, using the description.
What am I missing?

EJ

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
After going to the forum in which you want to search, click the advanced search button, then you will see the options.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
There seems to be a problem with the search function right now. I couldn't get it to work either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So... if you get tired of the brokenness of the search function....

using the "site:cx500forum.com" statement in your google search will limit it to this site.
here is google's help on that info, plus more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts