Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
The last 3 batteries I've used have been sealed batteries. The one in my GL650I is a Yuasa Super sealed battery, # YTX14AHL-BS. Part # M62H4L It's two years old and is holding up just fine.

The other two are Interstate Cycle-Tron II with the same exact #'s as the Yuasa battery. Both are listed as high performance batteries. These batteries fit in all the CX and GL bikes.

The added benefit of these being sealed is nice to know the acid will never leak out and rust or stain anything. Not to mention that the better construction in them seems to make for a much longer lasting battery as long as you keep it charged during the winter. My first regular style Yuasa battery didn't last 2 years because I didn't trickle charge it over one winter.

Hope this helps you with what your trying to decide.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Not to mention that you're always having to top off the water in the non-sealed ones.

The thing is I think they cost over twice as much?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
my battery is a yusa sealed battery and its about 12 years old and yes its dead i have to keep charging it and also marshall if you shop right on ebay you can find them for around 25 bucks

i really need to replace mine it looks pregnant with the swelling of it (thats how i know its dead)

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
If you consider the cost of one of these GOOD batteries compared to having to replace a low grade one every couple of years, it pays for itself in the long run.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If you consider the cost of one of these GOOD batteries compared to having to replace a low grade one every couple of years, it pays for itself in the long run.
Perhaps, but how can you predict the life of a sealed version if given the same treatment during the non-riding months?

I'd be a little leery of any battery on eBay that didn't carry a good name brand, then there's the shipping on a heavy item.

I can buy an Exide (supposedly a good brand) regular water fill battery locally for $29.95 and expect about 3 seasons from it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I haven't seen a $30 battery in my area in at least 10 years. The last crappy wet cells I bought from Autozone, Advance Auto and NAPA have been just shy of $50 and that's after the core return. The "good" ones make it two seasons and that's with using battery tenders during the winter.

All the YUASA sealed batteries I've owned have gone 5 years and get replaced because they are starting to slow down, never a catastrophic failure like wet cells.

I switched over to the AGM batteries a few years ago. My Hayabusa's Motobatt battery is on its 3rd year. I live in northern Indiana, park the bike in November and start it again in April. I don't even bother putting a charger on it.

I do the same with the Motobatt in the 500T except disconnect a terminal due to the hefty power drain of the VFD clock.

Those batteries ran me $50 and $65 SHIPPED off ebay and have 2 year warranties. The junk wet cells typically have 90 day warranties. I'll gladly pay $5 to $15 more for a battery that I don't have to dick around with charging in the winter and can start a Triton V10 engine 50 times in a row.

My 650T is in need of a new battery this spring but unfortunately the Motobatts in our size are on back order from the dealer that sells them at a reasonable price.

I ended up buying a different brand AGM by UPG/Adventure Power for $48 SHIPPED off ebay. I don't expect it to be as good as a Motobatt but it'll still be 10X better than a wet cell.

Oh, several years ago the wet cell in my mint 500T pissed acid onto the side panel lock which caused several hours of hell getting the lock to release and then cleaned up and operating again. Another great reason to go with a sealed battery.

What I don't understand is why wet cells became history for cars in the late 70s yet that dinosaur technology is about all I can find locally for motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
What I don't understand is why wet cells became history for cars in the late 70s yet that dinosaur technology is about all I can find locally for motorcycles.

Probably because there's not as big a market for them, then again out battery is used in a lot of the larger riding lawnmowers. Were they the 12 AH instead of the 14 AH there would be a lot more choices and better prices as that was an extremely common size.

Our batteries are important since we don't have kick starters and it's near impossible to push start them without two helpers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking about going with a Motobatt YTX7L-BS

Voltage: 12V

Capacity: 8 Ah

Weight: 2.6kg / 5.72 lbs

Dimensions: (L x W x H) 4.5'' x 2.8125'' x 5.1875''

Charging Current (Amps) 0.6

C.C.A. 115

It's $54 shipped on ebay right now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.