Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this discussion list so this may have been covered already. Has anybody seen a convenient way of doing a high pipe (s) - scrambler style. 2 into 1 or one on each side? I'm just starting to compile ideas for a cx500 project bike.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm new to this discussion list so this may have been covered already. Has anybody seen a convenient way of doing a high pipe (s) - scrambler style. 2 into 1 or one on each side? I'm just starting to compile ideas for a cx500 project bike.

There is someone here with some almost scrambler styled, but more of a straight through pipe (no muffler) and at about a

45 degree angle. But you know anything is possible with a pipe bender and a welder, interesting concept. Older, decent

scrambler mufflers are a tough find with the heat shield and all.

Good luck with it, I like your thinking outside the box, should be unique.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is someone here with some almost scrambler styled, but more of a straight through pipe (no muffler) and at about a

45 degree angle. But you know anything is possible with a pipe bender and a welder, interesting concept. Older, decent

scrambler mufflers are a tough find with the heat shield and all.

Good luck with it, I like your thinking outside the box, should be unique.

Still thinking it through - would be fairly easy - one on each side - canister and extended heat shield, maybe - 2 into one would be neater, though.

I'll keep thinking on that one.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,050 Posts
I'm working on a long-term project to convert a GL500 into a dual-sport, and I've given this some thought.

My idea is to build a resonance chamber/collector at the front, rather than under the engine, with a single outlet and muffler. It would require substituting a short, wide radiator (I don't know what the donor would be), or a pair of outboard radiators like on some of the CRs. There might be a header conflict with that, though, and the pair from my CR125 fork donor is too small regardless.

I can visualize the system, but I don't have an accurate idea of it's feasibility. I won't be hitting this part of the project for quite some time.

Here is the thread for my build. It consolidates a lot of ideas from previous similar projects. There's also some discussion of others' projects underway.

R

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm working on a long-term project to convert a GL500 into a dual-sport, and I've given this some thought.

My idea is to build a resonance chamber/collector at the front, rather than under the engine, with a single outlet and muffler. It would require substituting a short, wide radiator (I don't know what the donor would be), or a pair of outboard radiators like on some of the CRs. There might be a header conflict with that, though, and the pair from my CR125 fork donor is too small regardless.

I can visualize the system, but I don't have an accurate idea of it's feasibility. I won't be hitting this part of the project for quite some time.

Here is the thread for my build. It consolidates a lot of ideas from previous similar projects. There's also some discussion of others' projects underway.

R

Actually I've looked at your link a number of times as dual-sport was the direction I was originally headed. Based on your posts - and some others I've found - plus the fact that my wife likes to ride on the back once in awhile - I'm leaning more of a scrambler type. I will continue to follow your progression closely and when you get it all nailed, buy another bike! Thanks - I think that's a great idea. I was thinking of using pods -

run a cross pipe through the former side cover areas - then their's the topic of heat under the seat - gas tank..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts