Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got home Saturday night from my 650 mile round trip (a personal 1-day high) across Wisconsin for Dave Wiener's memorial to find this in my rear tire.

Judging from when I first noticed squirreliness in the rear, I might have been riding on this for two hundred miles or more!

Sunday afternoon, I had some time to investigate. Tire pressure was only down about 2psi from when I filled it Friday evening. I put a dab of paint on each end of the loop where it entered the tire to judge the depth.

One side didn't penetrate at all. The other only about 3/16", which is the depth of the tread.
I spent Sunday morning feeling very alive, but it appears I wasn't in the danger I had thought. Even so, if you're inclined to praying, offer up one of thanksgiving on my behalf.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The first instance of squirreliness was while braking hard to avoid missing a turn. The rear wheel felt like it was skipping a bit. There may have been uneven road surface obscured by water.
The second and third incidents were entering freeway exits. I can't describe the feeling other than as unstable.
I suspect the strangle sensations may be attributed to overinflated tires in heavy rain. I had increased my pressure to 40 and 38psi, rather than my usual 38 and 36.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Even at that size they often "self seal" to an extent..on tubeless...but not what you want (and not a good place to apply a plug near the wall...ignoring the size)
The other things that usually go thru a tire specially round constructions is those rivet shanks......

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Bridgestone was supposedly bringing out an airless car tyre in the 2020's..(no not solid rubber..lol)...m/cyle ones might be further off tho'.....

edit forgot the link:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I reckon I saw footage of something like that on an Audi being track tested nearly ten years ago.

They must be taking their time.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They've been tested on military vehicles, but I don't know if they've been used in regular operations.

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,392 Posts

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need to be more diligent inspecting tires at pre-ride.

Reactions: lukaspriest

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I've run over little stuff like that before, if it doesn't leak after riding around town for a week it's not going to suddenly blow out.
If it was a tire with hardly any tread left it would be a different story.
I also wouldn't be doing any performance riding on it until convinced it was safe either.
That's just me, you do what you think best.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I got this nuisance in my tire at the Mid Ohio a few years ago. Just pulled it out, tire didn't leak, still have the same tire on the bike. If the tire does go flat, you'll just get some rear wheel wobble and squerrliness, have had that happen about twice. Side wall was rigid enough to limp to an exit on both occasions. No big deal like it was in the "good ole" days of weak sidewall and tube tires. I had a chain wrap itself around the rear wheel and lock it up on my old BSA, bastard skid in a straight line, the English couldn't keep the oil in the engine at the time, but they got the stability and handling down pat.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ouch! That didn't go all the way through?

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
678 Posts
I got this nuisance in my tire at the Mid Ohio a few years ago. Just pulled it out, tire didn't leak, still have the same tire on the bike. If the tire does go flat, you'll just get some rear wheel wobble and squerrliness, have had that happen about twice. Side wall was rigid enough to limp to an exit on both occasions. No big deal like it was in the "good ole" days of weak sidewall and tube tires. I had a chain wrap itself around the rear wheel and lock it up on my old BSA, bastard skid in a straight line, the English couldn't keep the oil in the engine at the time, but they got the stability and handling down pat. View attachment 209512
Biggest problem is not usually the control but the timing & location when it happens-cold rainy nites away from home-etc

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Biggest problem is not usually the control but the timing & location when it happens-cold rainy nites away from home-etc
:unsure:....might be time to go wire->comstars on my 750...
"Saving" a bike (MX leg down style) ;with a flat; gets harder as you get older....

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nice number plate!

Reactions: Cobram and D-Fresh
1 - 20 of 22 Posts