Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my scare for the night. I was cruising along at 50mph maybe following the car in front of me a little close but I don't think so since I usually leave more than enough room. Well it was a 4 lane road with a median. The median has turn around spots but a path doesn't cut away from the main road. There is just enough room for a car to pull in and that's it. Most times the ass end of the cars stick out.

Well back to the fun. I'm doing 50mph and so are the cars in front and besides me. Well the two cars in front of me must must have been riding the ass of the guy in front of them. Well at the last second he decides to turn left and go the other way. I don't think there was a single turn signal used because the three cars bunched up really tight as they did a dead stop in the middle of the road. While I grabbed the front and rear brakes and started laying rubber. The front never locked up but the rear sure as hell did. I wasn't trying to lock anything up. While I started squealing as I watched the left side of the bumper of the closest car get even closer. Looking at the left side must have also brought me to the left side of the road more than I thought. but I was still about 18 inches off the curb. I swear I felt the ass end of the bike pull out from me a bit and swing right but there wasn't a wobble. I just did my hardest to keep steady and slow down. At full stop I was only 2-4 feet off the bumper of the car I was staring at. Somewhere in the process the bike stalled out leaving me in fifth gear trying to find neutral. I must have stopped by the side of the road for a few minutes even after the other cars pulled away trying to regain my composure and figure out what happened.

I'm only glad that I wasn't going the opposite way as the sun would have been in my eyes and my response would have been to late.

Seems stopping in time is scarier then trying not to get ones ass ran off the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I got my scare for the night. I was cruising along at 50mph maybe following the car in front of me a little close but I don't think so since I usually leave more than enough room. Well it was a 4 lane road with a median. The median has turn around spots but a path doesn't cut away from the main road. There is just enough room for a car to pull in and that's it. Most times the ass end of the cars stick out.

Well back to the fun. I'm doing 50mph and so are the cars in front and besides me. Well the two cars in front of me must must have been riding the ass of the guy in front of them. Well at the last second he decides to turn left and go the other way. I don't think there was a single turn signal used because the three cars bunched up really tight as they did a dead stop in the middle of the road. While I grabbed the front and rear brakes and started laying rubber. The front never locked up but the rear sure as hell did. I wasn't trying to lock anything up. While I started squealing as I watched the left side of the bumper of the closest car get even closer. Looking at the left side must have also brought me to the left side of the road more than I thought. but I was still about 18 inches off the curb. I swear I felt the ass end of the bike pull out from me a bit and swing right but there wasn't a wobble. I just did my hardest to keep steady and slow down. At full stop I was only 2-4 feet off the bumper of the car I was staring at. Somewhere in the process the bike stalled out leaving me in fifth gear trying to find neutral. I must have stopped by the side of the road for a few minutes even after the other cars pulled away trying to regain my composure and figure out what happened.

I'm only glad that I wasn't going the opposite way as the sun would have been in my eyes and my response would have been to late.

Seems stopping in time is scarier then trying not to get ones ass ran off the road.

I'm glad you're OK. I am always afraid of what the other drivers will do; there is ALWAYS some idiot who isn't paying attention, is yakking on a cell phone, makes a decision at the last minute.... I'm just surprised that you also didn't drop down 2 gears, to use the braking power of the engine. I know it's not the best thing for the motor/transmission, but I figure any repair costs are far less painful than hitting something.

Stay safe!

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I should have dropped down a few gears but I also don't think time exactly permitted it. I know I just got into fifth because I moved from the right to the left to go around a big moving truck and shifted after the pass. I'm thinking I did all my stopping in a very very short distance.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You know I should have dropped down a few gears but I also don't think time exactly permitted it. I know I just got into fifth because I moved from the right to the left to go around a big moving truck and shifted after the pass. I'm thinking I did all my stopping in a very very short distance.

Close calls are natures way of telling us to be extra careful at all times. Glad you are OK, just some nerve damage:)

I hate it when the rear locks up and starts doing the sideways slide thing. I should probably do some panic stop practice for the next time it happens to me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My dad called me up with the news of his latest accident and I got on his ass about following too close. I felt like he should allow double what he did. He felt that was excessive.

"So how's that working for you?", I asked.

Well, he opened up the gap and stopped having accidents.

I have seen incident after incident of something being a panic situation for one and a ho-hum for me simply because I leave a decent interval between us. Sure, assholes take advantage of the gap to insert themselves but I just open it up again. They're the one on the way to an accident; not me.

At least that's my theory. Open up your gap and live a while longer, Blindstitch.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Jay's right. For me it was more of an age thing. When I was in my 20's I was far more aggressive than I am now 20+ years later. So I might arrive five minutes later than I would had I driven or ridden more aggressively - so what? Plus our brakes on these bikes won't exactly allow stoppies!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I had similar a couple of weeks ago.I try to leave as much room as possible between me and Cagers.I'm never in a rush especially in town/Urban traffic.I keep a big bubble of space around me as much as possible.

A recent post I and some one else posted that we practice emergency stops from time to time on a clear road.I see how fast I can pull up without locking the wheels and still be in full control.This can be a ,"Life Saver" and as important as any other riding skill IMNSHO

·
Registered
223 Posts
Practicing counter steering doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
At least that's my theory. Open up your gap and live a while longer

------------

Sure, assholes take advantage of the gap to insert themselves but I just open it up again.

90% of the wrecks on our "Lake Hefner Speeedway" I have to drive to and from work every day ar due to following too closely, and in 50% of those cases the guy leading the pack is already driving about 10 above the speed limit. Add to that most of those tailigating him are probably on their phones and there you have it.

I love being able to drive 8 of the 11 miles to work at 75 or 80 mph but that's in my car which despite it's deceptively small-mid size weighs in at 3,600 lbs, can change lanes at those speeds in a microsecond while remining perfectly flat and can go from 60 to -0- in the same time as a Corvette.

I've seen my share of pileups ahead of me and I'm stopped long before I become part of it. Likewise that extra space I leave allows me to brake slower when I've got to avoid one, thus giving the tailgater behind me more time to respond.

I still insist the cell phones are the most dangerous thing they've ever allowed on the road. Drive slightly drunk and you're nailed in a minute, but despite not one but several studies clearly showing that talking while driving rduces your response time to the same or worse than that of a drunk driver and still allowing it is just plain crazy.

Know why they won't change the law? Too many Senators couldn't live without gabbing while driving.

We all end up paying for it. Insurance companies base their rates on the probability of having a wreck. If we outlawed talking while driving in this state the rates wouldn't go down but probably wouldn't be increased as often.

And no matter how many times I've mentioned this to a friend they're always the exception - they become totally defensive about how using their cell phone hasn't caused them to haave a wreck and get even more pissed when you try to explain the laws of probability.

The capability is there, utilize a phone's GPS capabilities to disable it when you're moving over 20 mph - only way to do it because of the hands free options.

Write your congressman, get a form letter back. Write the local paper and it won't get published because they too drive with their phones.

As if you haven't figured it out yet, coming home last night a cell phone gabbing SUV driver tried to change lanes right into me, driving me over to the shoulder with my horn blaring.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Scary. I am glad you didn't dump it or get hit. I bet you'll be dreaming about this one for a long time. This is a good lesson for the rest of us to make sure our brakes are working well. I can imagine what would have happened if you didn't have one or the other in order.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Dropped a couple of gears? Shoulda, coulda, woulda, but reaction time and the instinct to just grab a fist-full of brake

usually happen first, for me at least. Couple of years ago, I am trail riding on the edge of a field, single track, flat,

bushes on my left, the ole TW is just cooking in top gear.....deer jumps out of the bushes from the left. I just missed

its ass with the front wheel. What was my reaction?, nothing never let off the throttle, never touched a brake, it happened

so fast. And to this day at that same location I slow down and look at the bushes, boy do I remember how lucky I was.

When 18 yrs old I was zooming away from a intersection I was three cars back from the start of the line, buggers are too

slow, I am going to change lanes and get out front, shifting into 2nd, shoulder check to my right, no can't go, traffic

there, look back ahead......everbodies stopped.....sheeeeeit. Nailed the guy in front of me, pushed him into the guy in

front of him, crushed the bathroom vanity in his trunk that he was going to install that afternoon...oops ....I learned

the hard way at an early age. Paid for that mistake for a long time. I am looking so far ahead now that I usually brake or

react before the driver ahead of me does.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is why I love that most of our high-speed roads have nice big emergency lanes here. Just yesterday I had to use it. 55mph or so (probably following a bit close - not aggressive at all though), all of a sudden everybody is slamming on their brakes...As I was in the left lane, I just swerved over a bit and hit the brakes - I was stopped maybe 1-2ft behind the guy in front of me, but the guy behind me would've bumped my rear tire had I not swerved over.

·
Registered
745 Posts
if this was me i'd go gone , don'thave the expereance , there have been many close calls,, specialy here where i live,,,(every day),,,,, but no lock up,,,,i read on this rear lock up,,,, what to do,hu?....... well your good for the next time ,,,,

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok, just goes to show bad things can happen or almost happen to anybody anytime.  I've been lucky so far this season, no close calls at all.  I think building up years of safe riding is a combination of skill, experience, and pure luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good save Stitch.. I know my first instinct is a good handfull of brake. I do know that since I swapped to the CB 900 caliper on the front, mine will do a stoppie in a panic. I don't tend to ride too close, however the older i get the more i daydream! Ride safe!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Glad that you came up on the right side of the inch Stitch. I don't know what I would have done. I learned to drive horses before I learned to drive a car, so I'd probably just holler "WHOA" and pull back on the bars. But fortunately for me, where I live there usually isn't too much traffic so it's often easy to have a quarter mile of clear space in front and behind. I agree with Shep about practicing emergency stops. I haven't done it, but I think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds like you did exactly what you needed to do. Yes, it would have been better to be further behind, but your reaction was just right.

One thing I haven't heard anybody mention that I wanted to stress: Locking up the rear very seldom leads to badness. It's UNLOCKING the rear brake once the wheel has started sliding that leads to a high side. 'Stitch didn't have a problem because he never unlocked the rear brake.

A very good experiment for right before you replace a rear tire: Get the bike up to about 40 MPH on a smooth, straight, empty road and the lock up the rear brake. Initially don't apply the front brake at all - this makes it easier to control and helps you understand what you're doing. You'll feel the rear cock to one side. It will try to come around. As long as you pay attention and keep the front wheel pointed into the skid (just like they teach you with a car) the result will be nothing but a stripe of rubber. After you get the hang of what is going to happen, try doing this while adding in front brake. Eventually, you should have complete confidence about the bike's behavior in a full panic stop.

Bikes are completely controllable in a straight line with a skidding rear wheel. The front wheel provides enough gyroscope to keep everything upright as long as you pay attention to the steering. The ideal training tool for this is actually a coaster brake bicycle, but I haven't even seen one of those in about 20 years...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Close calls are what make us more cautious. Glad it turned out right for you. I recently had a situation where I locked the rear and did the skid swerve and pray. As a result I give more space and keep my eyes in front when I`m following someone. Controlled stop pracitice is something I need to do more of.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
One of the laws of nature are that sliding wheels always lead. So the rear wheel will always try to pass the front wheel. That is why rear wheel drive cars can do donuts and front wheel drive cars cannot unless in reverse.

If you don't believe me, take a model car, even one with steering and tape the rear wheels and slide it across the floor ... the rear wheels will end up leading every time.

Also, sliding wheel have no steering. Again take a model car with steering and tape up the front wheels ans slide it across the floor ... it will go straight every time.

With only two wheels, if you lock up the front, 95% of the time you will go down. The other 5% you are just lucky ...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
if this was me i'd go gone , don'thave the expereance , there have been many close calls,, specialy here where i live,,,(every day),,,,, but no lock up,,,,i read on this rear lock up,,,, what to do,hu?....... well your good for the next time ,,,,
glad your ok don,i know it can shake you up a bit.

here[a bit like raul]i have to practice emergency stops virtually every day.must be a spanish mentality

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.