Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would any individual or the four moderators and administrators be interested in archiving and saving Rob Davis's website and information? Since about 2018 he no longer updates it or moderates it. See the opening header at his website.Ideally it might should be someone from the UK but I'm sure he's already approached some of the members..

·
Registered
889 Posts
It would be good to see someone take that on....
If no interest on here....Is posting in the UK-based forum an option?Maybe some of the UK members here could raise that there as well

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
I have just emailed you a PDF of the complete Web Resource that I downloaded somewhere the last time he took it down (I would have attached it here but it is too big).
Note that it is mostly of historical interest and that a lot of the email addresses &c are incomplete and we have learned a few things since the Resource was last updated (most of which are already on your Motofaction site).

·
Super Moderator
3,264 Posts

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow that didn't take long. Rob Davis dropped hosting the web resource part like a lead balloon.

Did you also get this part of the site? Or didn't he want to drop that as of yet?

And where exactly can I go to from the main page to find both ships site and Davis's site? Not a link but a directions telling me where to click

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
On the "The Honda CX and GL..." link in JC's last post look at the bottom of the white part of the page under Other Sites for links to Shep's and Rob's sites (both now hosted on Motofaction).

Rob's personal motorcycle history is at the bottom of the homepage of his Deauville site, which is linked at the top of Rob's CX Resource as hosted on Motofaction.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So neither are part of the forum webspace and website.? That's okay I just didn't realize there was no real website for the forum.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
We like to keep stuff like that (& the Wiki) on other web spaces because we don't own the forum and the owners can decide to remove any content they want at any time without asking us.
I believe you made reference in another thread recently to part of the forum archives that doesn't work anymore; That's because they didn't retain the archives when they changed to the current forum software and the admins (who work for the company that owns the forum) have been dragging their heels for nearly a year about resurrecting them....

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got done mentioning to wildmanwill, William Clemens about the good spirit and purposes that we had when forming the breakaway club from the swedish bulletin board and how that Spirit continued through several renditions of the forum. I mentioned to him that the good spirit remains in members helping strangers but seems to be watered down a little by outside and indifferent ownership of the forum.

I personally haven't seen huge changes in the last form upgrade, and if it helps to make it easier to use the form or mobile devices and easier to maintain the form then I believe it's an acceptable trade-off.

What I have noticed is that this form now falls into the exact same pattern as several other forums that I've seen one of the GL forums goldwing forums and I think it was mentioned that the Honda twinning club has the same platform. I'm sure there are others.

If the opportunity ever presents itself for a group of members to either start their own form or purchase this form, preferably that option, it would seem like a winning situation. It would have course be qualified by the ability and expertise for the members to administer the form for a long-term basis.

I would be happy if the categories were a little less overlapping and confusing, as mentioned in another post. And I again like the opportunity for the posting of rides and rallies to be able to be cross post in regions and perhaps States and nationally. But I imagine that is asking a lot of a pattern style forum.

I I also sense that we are losing some traffic to Facebook groups as that seems to be a well-understood platform for people to post pictures and quick replies. I think that trend could also reverse itself since it is sometimes hard to follow the line of thought thought of a discussion.

Well that's all for now. Thanks JC and Bob and Dave f and Stitch and larry and reclinedrelic? and I'm sure there's a few others I missed ,for keeping up with the moderating.

Talk later got things to do.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
It would be good to see someone take that on....
If no interest on here....Is posting in the UK-based forum an option?Maybe some of the UK members here could raise that there as well
Good to see JC and others acting as guardians of the sacred tomes of lore

I'm afraid the UK club seems to have not quite died on its ass, but dwindled away
to a shadow of its former self
last time I looked in, the last tips and tricks post was years old and the busiest thread was
a word association game !! what the .....?
(Mind you, It's been suggested to me the club went downhill fast after I joined........)

I haven't been a member for years but still know a few of the guys and many of the active members have left or moved
away to facebook groups.
You still have to join and pay in the UK to get full access which I always thought to be counter productive
for a club that has by its very nature to diminish as bikes and riders get older.
The open and ready access to this forum and the info it allows access to has contributed to its longevity
and success in my opinion so if I meet any one new to the CX this is where I point them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
As you mentioned, good to see JC take it on.

I did look at some of the posts on the UK site, and they did seem a lil old and the merchandise officer was taking "extended leave"....however I thought there might be a "golden treasure" that was unseen by me as I didn't pay the joining fee...(the word game wasn't the golden treasure i was expecting though)

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
It used to be free for overseas members to join the CX/GL MCC forum. I signed up years ago because their partsfinder was the only place that had the parts drawings for the CX650E at the time but now it just redirects to CMSNL so I rarely look there.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A paid forum?

Oh that's right. In about 1998 I and a few others Dan topping Lee harder and Rob Davis from New Jersey broke away from the swedish bulletin board and put up a website at motorcycleclub.org. And at first we linked to the swedish bulletin board until we got our own up and running. At the time I was familiar with a few of the other motorcycle clubs such as The concourse clubs and the Honda sport touring association club. They had websites that were split between a general information site and then a paid membership site which included usually patches and a newsletter and other things of the such. So that was the pattern that we started with. In order to support the site one of the fellows I think it was Lee harder came up with patches as a thank you for those contributing something like $12 a year and we tried to have four articles a year. That part of the equation didn't hold out as I think we managed two or three articles in the first year and none in the first part of the second year. But this type of bulletin board that came online somewhere around 2001 without a paying option is much better way to go about things.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
FWIW, the Naked GoldWings club forum is member owned and is supported by member donations, paraphernalia sales and a single ad for a known good supplier (Randakk's). The Canadian URal & Dnepr owners forum is also member owned and donation supported but has the potential for ads if there aren't enough donations. Last year's expenses were covered by paraphernalia sales.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Just for clarification
There are no hidden treasures in the UK club
No rooms of treasure and arcane lore for the initiated ( ie paid up members) to pore over.
I chatted to a guy who was manager about a year or so ago who wanted to try and
rejuvenate it, but gave up in frustration.
Similar story to a lot clubs.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If some of the Brain trust such as JC and several others would ever wish to add a form software to a club CX and GL website that would be owned by several people or group owned the times and websites where I've used this bulletin board pattern and company has always seemed to be stable.

I think there would have to be some serious issues come up before we would tank the information and data that is been accumulated on this bulletin board. But if it ever gets to that there are options as I'm sure many others know.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just for clarification
There are no hidden treasures in the UK club
No rooms of treasure and arcane lore for the initiated ( ie paid up members) to pore over.
I chatted to a guy who was manager about a year or so ago who wanted to try and
rejuvenate it, but gave up in frustration.
Similar story to a lot clubs.
yes here is Oz we had the MRA...which was active sometime ago and secured things like footpath parking in Victoria had a clubhouse, regular rides etc...then torn apart by faction fighting and vested interests....a shame.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts