Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up what I believe to be a 1982 CX500 motor from a buddy of mine. The motor came from a bike that was total in an accident, and as salvage yard do, they sliced all wires right at the rear cover. I've downloaded SEVERAL wiring diagrams for the bike but unfortunately they haven't helped me figure out what these wires are and what they go to. I pulled the small Stater cover off, and found the 2 wires for the charging system, but still have the some 9 wires that go into the transmission housing that I have no idea what they do. Anyone with some information on these wires would be a great help!
I'm using the motor for a VERY experimental project, and am trying to use MINIMAL wiring and essentially make my own harness. That being said, do I really need any of those wires? Or can I just run the motor using the 2 wires from the charging system, and of course the Neutral safety wire (which, I'm not 100% but doesn't that come out of the bottom of the transmission housing?). Thank you for any input!

·
Super Moderator
4,281 Posts
It sounds like you have a CDI ignition system, so you need most of those wires. There should be three wires for the stator charge circuit (yellow IIRC). Other wires would be from the low and high speed coils for the CDI. Someone with more CDI knowledge than I will likely reply soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts