Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i live near millwaukee and i just want to know if any knows of actual bike salvage yards no mill cycle salvage. i mean a yard or even a back yard of like salvaged bikes and parts. i would like to walk through and maybe find a new project bike.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Just Google "Wisconsin Motorcycle salvage yards.

Several are listed. I would avoid the one in Neenah, WI though. Real bad reputation.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,478 Posts
There's one over here in Jordan, MN if you're up for a drive. I haven't dealt with them, but I think a number of the locals have.

R

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have had some real bad experiences with cycle salvage yards, even if you pull the parts yourself. Most tend to value parts based upon the highest they've seen them sell for on eBay and I'd recommend trying out out the Buying and Selling forum before going to those rip-off artists. Some may be different but around here I plain don't trust them. Very few of these bikes therefore they want premium prices.

Be prepared to bargain if you go to a salvage yard, take some small bucks in your billfold and leave the rest in your car. Take a friend and if they're stubborn tell them you're going to try to borrow a few extra $$. Many will cave in if you can lay some cash on the table but not all will.

Cash speaks, and most have been sitting on these for some time. Condition is obviously unknown.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have had some real bad experiences with cycle salvage yards, even if you pull the parts yourself. Most tend to value parts based upon the highest they've seen them sell for on eBay and I'd recommend trying out out the Buying and Selling forum before going to those rip-off artists. Some may be different but around here I plain don't trust them. Very few of these bikes therefore they want premium prices.

Be prepared to bargain if you go to a salvage yard, take some small bucks in your billfold and leave the rest in your car. Take a friend and if they're stubborn tell them you're going to try to borrow a few extra $$. Many will cave in if you can lay some cash on the table but not all will.

Cash speaks, and most have been sitting on these for some time. Condition is obviously unknown.

Good advice Marshall. I'd add to talk with the person about price before going out to the yard and taking the time to find and pull a part or bike. My experience has been often the guy will be quick to tell you to help yourself and find what you need then when you come back we'll talk price. Well, then they have you. They know you will be vested since you took all the time to hunt and get what you want. They'll have the ability to hit you high for price. It is a game to a lot of people. Personally, I do not like to barter.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'll barter but I'll talk first. Often, if you go in a truck, you can grab the whole thing for next to nothing just to give them the extra space.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx guys i just think it would be eaiser to talk price when i see insteas of talking over messages and commiting cause you cant really see it. and when they are 100s of miles away sorda dont want the drive if someone is close

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Then go there in person. 5754 N Teutonia ave.

Gary in the past that business has had a lot of negative results but this summer they got a new owner and from what I hear turned around a lot.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think Alan just wants to oggle! I went to a junk yard in Rye, Arizona last spring and could not believe it. Acres of stuff piled high with barely enough room to walk through Was a lot of fun, but there are no bargains. Don't let the bibs fool you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that is exactly what i want to do, i want a variety since i am not extremely savvy with every bike. i am more of a see and do in stead of plan.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The salvage yard near jordan mn. has several acres of all kinds of bikes. There is one area way back in the corner that is exclusively our bikes. They also sell good used bikes that are under cover. I bought my daughters deluxe there and it was in 95% perfect condition with only six grand on the odometer. This spring I'm gonna pull a trashed 650 engine to simply pull apart to learn from. The place is called Sportwheels and is on the web. It's like a candy store for bikers. The owners are good folks even though their prices are a bit steep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.