Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill Warner, one of the fastest bike riders in the world, lost his life yesterday trying to top 300 mph in the mile at the course in Maine. He is reported to have lost control and crashed. He had run 311 in the 1 1/2 course last year. He crashed in Texas once about 275 and just brushed it off. I visited with him a few times in Texas and he was just the nicest, friendliest guy you could hope to meet. I don't know anything about his family or other details, but keep this man in your prayers. He was doing what he loved to do and probably wouldn't have traded it for anything. My guess is that his accomplishments will stand for some time.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Motorcycle racer Vehicle
It was reported he was coherent after the crash, but died at the hospital in Caribou.
Warner was conscious and talking after the crash just before 10 a.m., Kelly said, but he died about an hour and 15 minutes later at a hospital in Caribou.
Motorcycle racer Bill Warner, clocked at 285 mph, is killed in Maine crash - Motor News | FOX Sports on MSN

Riding his modified turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa, Warner previously hit 311 mph on the same course in 2011, using 1.5 miles of pavement. That's considered to be the world land speed record for a conventional motorcycle, Kelly said.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had really hoped he would never crash again, after last year. We are seeing a new era of speed, and guys and gals have been getting hurt and surviving. Donna Timney at around 215 recently, Brett DeStoop getting one arm blown off the handlebars when his air shifter was giving him trouble (he managed to get back ahold and tried to pull himself down into the fairing, but it pulled him into a 240 mph wheelie and over backward), and John Noonan maybe about 275 at Mojave when the front end may have blown away (he was trying a dustbin type fairing).

This is really sad, after seeing others survive some of these fast crashes. Bill was one of the pioneers, and will always stand as a legend.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Those speeds are incredible. I've pushed around 190 and it's an adrenaline rush, I can't imagine what 300+ must feel like.

Who makes a tire that can withstand those speeds? I read that the Bugatti Veyron's tires are specially made for that car and cost $42,000 a set...then after two sets you need new wheels at an additional $69,000. The tires can only last 20 seconds at 270 mph which seems like child's play compared to Bill's achievements and quite a few others.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He used the Conti Attacks rated to 199. I am guessing they had been shaved too. When I visited with him in Texas he stated that stopping was more of a concern than accelerating. There are plenty of videos of his passes and you can see the skill involved both in getting to speed and getting stopped again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts