Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a complete newbie to any type of mechanical work, so reading these forums has most definitely helped. For someone with little to no confidence in what i'm doing pictures and seeing someone else do it help a lot. So I figured I would start small and post about my results of cleaning my tank and sealing with redkote

Take the tank of the bike

IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0484.JPG

Initial view of rust. Some heavy stuff in patches.

After doing some reading, It looks like it is in my best interest and cheapest to buy some apple cider vinegar (about $4 a gallon from walmart). Plug the drain hole of the tank, I used alot of duct tape and a rubber plug, and brim the tank.
IMG_0491.JPG

I let the vinegar sit in the tank for about a day, figured a longer time wouldn't hurt.
I then dropped a small piece of chain into the tank, Put the cap back on and shook to try and agitate the rust. Not sure how much this helped with the vinegar already working but lets just say it did lol.

Drain the vinegar from the tank. When i immediately drained the tank, I had a FANTASTIC looking inside, no rust at all. Vinegar worked great, However it started to flash rust almost immediately, I did my best to neutralize it with baking soda and distilled water. It helped a little but there was still some rust left over, not as bad as originally so I was happy.

IMG_0582.JPG
inside of tank Post-vinegar bath and baking soda rinse.

I then let the tank dry for about a week, mainly because I was caught up with stuff at work and didn't have time.

Now time to seal the tank
I used Redkote for this, purchased on ebay for $25. A local powder coating place recommended it, and the internet supported their recommendations.
I first used some acetone to swish around the tank and make sure the inside was free of liquid/grease.

IMG_0589.JPG
Also, don't be an idiot like me and forget to remove this fuel screen, then break it in half while removing it(also because I'm an idiot) and spend a half hour with a coat hanger trying to fish it out of the tank. Very frustrating experience.

Redkote smells absolutely awful, Strong smell of nail polish remover. do NOT do this inside or anywhere with poor ventilation

Plug the drain hole of the tank. Once Redkote was poured in, I used duct tape to cover the main cap hole.

Ok, we are now ready for redkote. I made a little stand out of a plastic bin and some wood to help collect the extra redkote(apparently you can re-use this stuff)

IMG_0595.JPG
Drain stand

Dump about half the container of redkote into tank, Don't worry about putting to much, we will drain it out anyway.
SLOWLY tilt the tank around with the redkote in it, The point is to cover all of the surfaces. Take your time on this it is important.
Set the tank over drain pan and let the extra drain out. I tilted the tank a few times to try and make sure I got all this stuff out.

IMG_0598.JPG
Draining.

I let it cure for an hour or two outside just to let the smell dissipate. However, since it is winter in PA and cold. I then moved it to my warmer basement.
Let it dry for a few days and you will be good to go.

IMG_0607.JPG
Inside of tank immediately after coating with redkote.

And that's about it. Hopefully I helped some people. If you have a better way of doing this feel free to share, but I am happy with my results.
Thanks guys.

Reactions: OCR and Motomicah

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have some really bad news for you:

We stopped using redkote years ago because it dissolves and clogs the carburetors.
I have personally made that mistake more than once.
Do a forum search, and you will see pictures of what it does.

·
Registered
375 Posts
A local guy who does bike restorations says the same thing about the red stuff...no matter how well he prepped it. He uses some stuff from 3M. He was not really into telling me since he wanted me to pay him to do my tank. Arg....still have not done my tank. So what is everyone using for tank coatings? I hear bad reviews about most tank coatings. Granted I know prep is the key. The red stuff above seems to have nothing but bad reviews all over the net. Hopefully he has better luck with it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
With the OP gas tank, no coating was needed. After soaking with vinegar and then rinsing out with water, it needs to be dried immediately after the rinse. Stuff a couple of small towels to soak up the moisture and then remove with coat hanger. And then a mix of gas and 2 stroke oil sloshed around the tank with cap on, it will seal the metal and no more rust

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
Por 15 on all my tanks. Don't get it in your hair or you will be getting a haircut. I got some about the size of a quarter on a shirt and two years later it was still solid. That's after maybe 40 washes.

Warning if you are done don't put the lid back on. It absorbs the humidity in the air and other stuff and in 10 minutes blew the cap about 8 feet up in the air and that's how I got it in my hair.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Por 15. Heard a lot about it but have never seen it used. What does it look like and how does it dry...hard or somewhat soft?

·
Registered
21 Posts
With the OP gas tank, no coating was needed. After soaking with vinegar and then rinsing out with water, it needs to be dried immediately after the rinse. Stuff a couple of small towels to soak up the moisture and then remove with coat hanger. And then a mix of gas and 2 stroke oil sloshed around the tank with cap on, it will seal the metal and no more rust
I was thinking a similar thought. The vinegar did the trunk on that one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Crap, Now that I have already Made this mistake with the redkote, Is there anyway to get it out? Like I said the powdercoating place near me recommended it and I saw positive reviews online--- I feel like an idiot now after trying to do my own work for once and potentially gunking it all up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Crap, Now that I have already Made this mistake with the redkote, Is there anyway to get it out? Like I said the powdercoating place near me recommended it and I saw positive reviews online--- I feel like an idiot now after trying to do my own work for once and potentially gunking it all up. I know prep work is a lot of the outcome and I feel that I had the tank sufficiently dry before I tried to coat it.. How screwed am I?

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
Por 15. Heard a lot about it but have never seen it used. What does it look like and how does it dry...hard or somewhat soft?
It dries solid like a really hard paint.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well Crap, Now that I have already Made this mistake with the redkote, Is there anyway to get it out? Like I said the powdercoating place near me recommended it and I saw positive reviews online--- I feel like an idiot now after trying to do my own work for once and potentially gunking it all up. I know prep work is a lot of the outcome and I feel that I had the tank sufficiently dry before I tried to coat it.. How screwed am I?
No amount of drying can save you with Red kote. I had two of my tanks done by "professionals" at radiator shops.
One of them actually called the parent company, and discovered two things:
1) the chemicals used to make it have changed slightly to accommodate EPA laws.
2) the thinner used to keep it fluid has changed too.
These changes allow it to be dissolved by Ethanol. Turns the gas pink. When the fuel dries in the carburetor, it leaves behind a really nasty crystal deposit.

Now, on the bright side, it's not that hard to get out.
Acetone, or Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Soak the crap out of it, the stuff dissolves pretty readily.
Took me a couple of days, and two gallons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts