Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Rust

780 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Sidecar Bob 
#1 ·
Hi with my GL500 I have a light rust film in the tank. I drained the old fuel and then swisher around a half tank of new fuel drained that out by removing the pet cock and then put on an online filter. Have rode the bike about 300miles that way no issues although it's started to be a little difficult on the cold starts. I thought maybe the pet cock has gotten clogged. I removed that and drained the fuel. The petcock was clean, no rust on the screen and the fuel that I poured out seemed clear.
I then swisher around some more clean fuel and drained, there were some rust chunks but the liquid appeared clear. So the question is I'm looking at putting a new inline filter in and running it this weekend to Chicago and back 300miles each way. I don't have time or the space to do a proper tank cleaning
What are people's thoughts? The bike performes very well otherwise

#2 ·
Between the petcock screen and inline filter, you should be fine.

#3 ·
If your petcock has a settling bowl (item #2 in the drawing below) that allows particles fine enough to pass through the screen to settle out of the fuel before it passes to the carbs. It wouldn't hurt to open it and clean out any deposits (should be dome periodically anyway).

Also, how long is the bike sitting between uses? A quirk of the design of these carbs allows the fuel in the float bowls to evaporate enough after sitting a few days to make it harder to start than if you ran it yesterday, especially combinerd with the vacuum operated petcock that doesn't allow fuel to flow unless the engine is turning to produce vacuum.

#4 ·
Okay that's good info I will check that settling Bowl that will give me an idea of how much of the rust is coming in as far as the bike sitting for a while on that being related to the heart start not the case here just your standard in the morning cold start situation and really anytime the bike has been sitting for more than 4 hours just doesn't start that easy as it used to

#5 ·
Are you using choke? Now that the weather has gotten warmer, it might start better without it.

#6 ·
A tip that i was told, but never tried.
Was to leave the choke open overnight, my buddy in the UK swears by this method, but it's one of those things i forget to try.

#8 ·
Just take a spare in line fuel filter (good quality), as well as the relevant screw driver and spanner size with you on your trip, then you should be good in case some rust particles ends up in the filter. Its a quick roadside repair. But from the sounds of it your tank is not that dirty / bad.

#9 · (Edited)
This is one of my bike's tanks (not CX admittedly). Been using it like this since '16 when I bought the bike. Initially there were just a few times when I had to unclog the petrol tap in the early months, but i've put through 320 gallons (uk- 2576 pints) since. In that early few months I had no filters at all and then I installed a new tap with the tall gauze filter on the tap itself within the tank (no additional filters) and i've not had any problems with loose rust since. I decided not to treat the rust with electric or any products, other than shaking the tank around to get the worst out before I started using it prolifically. I am indeed still afraid that one day a hole will develop- but I think if I tried to treat it sooner, i'd have been trying to resolve a hole sooner too.. Just like rusty core plugs in an engine, or a radiator, sometimes the residue and crap inside can clog a potential leak that occurs after you start to remove said dirt.

• Wow
Reactions: D-Fresh
#10 ·
Something I noticed that works very well with removing rust in a tank is covering all holes. Add hot water and add a few table spoons of Citric acid. Leave it over night in the bath on a old towel. Incase it leaks. Next day turn the tank upside down and leave another day. (depending on the amount of rust) The Citric acid removes all rust. After that flush with clean water and dry it out with hair dryer. Immediately fill with fresh petrol and about 10% Diesel or some 2 stroke oil. just helps to smear the inside with an oily base.

#11 ·
Immediately fill with fresh petrol and about 10% Diesel or some 2 stroke oil. just helps to smear the inside with an oily base.
Or hit it with fogging oil before refilling.

Reactions: krugerjq
#12 ·
I don't think either of those would provide lasting protection because the gasoline would wash it away.

If there is a lot of rust have the tank epoxy lined. If it is just surface rust don't worry about it.

I would be most concerned about what happens in those areas at the rear of both sides of the tank that hang down to meet the side covers. Small amounts of water can enter the tank in a number of ways (a drop or 2 from filling up in the rain, condensation from the air that enters the tank when you ride on a damp day &c) and since it is heavier than gasoline it will fall to the bottom where the fuel above prevents it from evaporating. If you never leave the tank completely empty for a few days to allow water that collects in those pockets to evaporate it will eventually create its own way out (I know this first hand).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.