Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed recently that my front reservoir cup on my 81 GL500 was starting to get rust like discoloration on the sides. I took apart the cup assembly and turns out the screws were rusted out and so was the point of attachment. I purchased new screws but the assembly that you screw into has no threads left. Does anyone have a fix to this or do I have to purchase a used front brake assembly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My vote's to completely rebuild the brake, calipers/new reservoir & all. I can gamble with a worn out seat or paint job, but not the brakes. My guess is that the brake fluid was in there too long, absorbed too much water and hence the rust. I had a similar issue and it did wonders.

I noticed recently that my front reservoir cup on my 81 GL500 was starting to get rust like discoloration on the sides. I took apart the cup assembly and turns out the screws were rusted out and so was the point of attachment. I purchased new screws but the assembly that you screw into has no threads left. Does anyone have a fix to this or do I have to purchase a used front brake assembly?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts