Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know there's always a few parts on these old bikes that are just simply rusted or corroded in place and won't budge. I've tried a lot of remedies that worked with some success. But a friend of mine has that's in the air conditioning business for years has been telling me about some Stuff called Rust Buster. A couple weeks ago he brought a bottle of it over to let me try out. So I dropped a little on some stuck mixture screws in a set of crusty carbs and walked away for a half hour. Not expecting much I tried to turn it out with a screw driver. With a little bit of pressure, out it came. So I tried it out on another set. Same results.

John tells me that when he has a rusted fan of steel part that's been sitting out in the weather for years, he soaks the part with this stuff and it always seems to work.

So I thought I would share it with you so you can give it a try. I've only found it online so far and don't know if any of the home stores carries it. But it's sure worth a shot for the price. Here's a couple links I found for it online.

Rust Buster link 1

Rust Buster link 2

Good luck with it and let us know if you try it and it works for you.

Larry

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
As we all know there's always a few parts on these old bikes that are just simply rusted or corroded in place and won't budge. I've tried a lot of remedies that worked with some success. But a friend of mine has that's in the air conditioning business for years has been telling me about some Stuff called Rust Buster. A couple weeks ago he brought a bottle of it over to let me try out. So I dropped a little on some stuck mixture screws in a set of crusty carbs and walked away for a half hour. Not expecting much I tried to turn it out with a screw driver. With a little bit of pressure, out it came. So I tried it out on another set. Same results.

John tells me that when he has a rusted fan of steel part that's been sitting out in the weather for years, he soaks the part with this stuff and it always seems to work.

So I thought I would share it with you so you can give it a try. I've only found it online so far and don't know if any of the home stores carries it. But it's sure worth a shot for the price. Here's a couple links I found for it online.

Rust Buster link 1

Rust Buster link 2

Good luck with it and let us know if you try it and it works for you.

Larry
for the uk guys Larry

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LA-CO-RUST-BU...079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4a922db1cf

under 3 quid

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bandit. I should have added that too.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I could have used some of that yesterday, working on the wifes car and her front brake rotors were completely frozen to the hub.

Some cars (especially Jeeps and stRange Rovers) are very prone to that. Slab plenty of anti-seize on the backs and wheel contact points of the front and rear of the hat and it should come off much easier next time around. The rotors coming out of China start rusting as soon as you breath on them while installing.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've seen that stuff before in appliance parts stores and HVAC supply stores. Never knew it worked so well, will pick some up the next time I'm in one of those shops.

Thanks for the recommendation, Larry.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'll have to find some of this locally or in Tucson to try. I've used PB Blaster for several years with very good results...but it isn't suitable for things that are going to be in the house as it smells bad. Fine for shop projects though.

Larry have you every used PB Blaster?

David

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've used PB blaster for a long time. Right now this stuff is making it look wimpy though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have an H-box that has the ends of the old mufflers rusted in place still. Do you think this stuff would be strong enough to work that out? I have tried about everything else. My next attempt was going to be heat. I may just give it a shot.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's worth a shot. Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,455 Posts
I've seen that stuff before in appliance parts stores and HVAC supply stores. Never knew it worked so well, will pick some up the next time I'm in one of those shops.

Thanks for the recommendation, Larry.
Wayne,

If you find a local source, please let me know.

R

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Wayne,

If you find a local source, please let me know.

R
Randall, i would bet a cup of coffee that I've seen it in the neighborhood at Park Supply on E 26th st. (a few blocks east of Hiawatha Ave).

Otherwise, I'm thinking Dey Appliance Parts on Snelling Ave, St Paul (a few blocks north of University).

(hope I'm not blowing smoke!)

wayne

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Randall, i would bet a cup of coffee that I've seen it in the neighborhood at Park Supply on E 26th st. (a few blocks east of Hiawatha Ave).

Otherwise, I'm thinking Dey Appliance Parts on Snelling Ave, St Paul (a few blocks north of University).

(hope I'm not blowing smoke!)

wayne
I don't think Dey is on Snelling anymore. Last time I needed a part, I had to go over to Arden Hills.

After reading this thread I did a search. There's a plumbing wholesaler that carries it just across the river on 2nd North. Maybe I'll take a ride over lunch.

R

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have an H-box that has the ends of the old mufflers rusted in place still. Do you think this stuff would be strong enough to work that out? I have tried about everything else. My next attempt was going to be heat. I may just give it a shot.

For what it is worth, I use heat and get the item red hot and then pure cold water on it item.

It works wonders, but I under stand some times you just can not do this type of work. JMO

Ev.

MI.

Gl500i

·
Registered
967 Posts
I could have used some of that yesterday, working on the wifes car and her front brake rotors were completely frozen to the hub.

In a pinch to break those free, I have reinstalled the wheel, and put the lugs on hand-tight only, backed out of the drive, made a couple light turns at no more than 4 to 5mph...has worked every time for me.

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
After reading this thread I did a search. There's a plumbing wholesaler that carries it just across the river on 2nd North. Maybe I'll take a ride over lunch.
This may be harder to find than I thought. I called Goodin (the place on North 2nd). They carry some Al-Co products, but not Rust Buster.

I'll keep looking. I think Grainger may have popped up in the search, and there's one downtown not far from my office.

R

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Well, Grainger wants $6.50 for it locally. But the online vendors that I found add enough shipping to be well above that.

Larry's eBay link above appears to be a good price. I found one slightly better and ordered a bottle.

I'll share my impressions once I get a chance to try it.

R

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,087 Posts
Kroil and 'Mouse Milk" are known to be better than Berkible 2 plus 2 and PB blaster. I've heard that a mixture of acetone and diesel fuel is as good as anything.

Anyone done that?

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
I've heard that a mixture of acetone and diesel fuel is as good as anything.

Anyone done that?
I've tried acetone and atf. Did nothing but make the rust wet and oily.

R

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.