Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
w'sup everyone....

so my next issue is this... my bike, although for the most part seems to be good, is def running rich. I pulled the plugs the other day, and they were black w carbon buildup, I am getting some black smoke at high-revs, and I def smell fuel alot of the time... I also will get some hiccup-ing here an there, and I seem to be flying thru tanks of gas... also my idle really likes to fluctuate all over the map... out of nowhere I'll pull to a light and my idle will be way high, just under 3000, and 2 mins later it'll drop to below 1000... and even stall out at times as well....

I guess I'm hoping to get some ideas from you guys what is may be, and what some of the first things I can do to get this sorted out....

thx in advance for any help... i'd love to figure this out asap..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, unfortunately since i just got the bike about 2 weeks ago, im not sure about the jets/carbs.......

the po started the beginnings of cafe-moding it, and what i do know is he changed out the exhaust... still have the collector/h-box installed, and yes theres no air-box so im using pods...

does that help?

i def admit, i am 100% new to this bike, but very much looking forward to getting to know it...

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
In addition, with the idle being all wacky, be sure the carbs get a very thorough cleaning. See the links on that in the Quick Reference and get Larry's book. *LRCXed* edit to add Larry is in Sacramento, so you might have a chance to get personal advice.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok ive been reading and reading about this...theres soooo much info-its great....confusing, but great.....

so what i do know at this point is that i prob still have the stock jets installed, and need to upgrade due to my exhaust/pods... to something like 90/130...

then today i am noticing on my right carb, around the bottom where the float is, there is def some fuel leaking...not sure if its a constant thing, but it def has recently

as i see some fuel residue... thats prob not so good, and could be part of the reason...

another part im seeing is that my exhaust line has a bunch of leaks throughout.... the PO has it all clamped together....header to H-box>clamp, H-box-muffler>clamp....

and today while the engine was on, i started investigating some leaking-exhaust sounds, and found that pretty much everywhere theres a clamp, theres a leak...some bigger than others...

that CANNOT be good.... and this could be part of my problem i bet, right?

and one last thing.... so when you start a cold engine, and use the choke, upon engaging it the idle should rise, right?

well my bike straight dies....quick....

i appreciate any and all help!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.