Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! First post... Just wanted to say thanks for being here

ok so my 81 cx500 deluxe has some running light issues. Blinkers work, but i am replacing the blinker switch assembly because the left side works fine, but the right you have to really push on it to get it to work. Sometimes when you turn the blinkers off, the left front will stay on, but if i wiggle the switch it goes off.

have tank and seat off and headlight out. Cleaned the grounds and went over all the wiring, looks good except the flasher has to prongs, and 3 wires. The one is disconnected:

And in the headlight there are two wires not being used, one is a light green, with a large double female end. The green is a lighter shade then the ground wire. The other is a pair of brown wires that share a single female end (smaller). They obviously don't plug in together, lol... maybe an option for something on a custom?

Don't really know at this point. The taillight is on constant and works. Checked and replaced all the blinker bulbs. And if the switch doesn't fix it, and i can't find the problem is there some other way I can make it all work? Tried attaching power to the light from the battery, and it works great, just it won't let the blinker flash...

Any help is appreciated! Thank You,

-John

·
Registered
336 Posts
Unless your rear signals are red--and I think that was only an option on the Interstates--they aren't markers. If they blink then they are working. The front blinkers are markers, so they stay lit. The flasher isn't an issue. I have the same two tab flasher and it works fine. Someone here can tell you why there are 3 wires i'm sure.

In case you don't have a manual, you can find a wiring diagram here. I think the green wire you show may be the temp sending unit and the brown wires may be horn. Does your horn work? Does your temp gauge work?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless your rear signals are red--and I think that was only an option on the Interstates--they aren't markers. If they blink then they are working. The front blinkers are markers, so they stay lit.

hmmm, so then the backs are fine... just need to figure out why the front right won't come on, and why the left only comes on for a sec... Is there a way to just run power to the running light side of the bulb? while keeping the blinking side of the bulb for the blinkers

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Check your bulbs to be sure both filaments work on each of the front lamps, if they are OK, use a voltmeter to check for power and ground at the sockets, test both socket contacts on each side. If this is not OK, check grounds from sockets to the battery or chassis ground with an ohm meter. If grounds are OK, remove and clean the turn switch if you can get cleaner into it. Check the wiring diagram for a schematic of the switch contacts in each position.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your bulbs to be sure both filaments work on each of the front lamps, if they are OK, use a voltmeter to check for power and ground at the sockets, test both socket contacts on each side. If this is not OK, check grounds from sockets to the battery or chassis ground with an ohm meter. If grounds are OK, remove and clean the turn switch if you can get cleaner into it. Check the wiring diagram for a schematic of the switch contacts in each position.

thanks all for the replies! Going to install this new switch assembly soon as it arrives, and then use your advice if that doesnt work! hopefully it does! keep ya's informed

·
Registered
152 Posts
The third wire is green and is a ground. It can be used if you replace your flasher with a 3 prong flasher. The OEM flasher is a thermal flasher and only needs two wires. Some electronic flashers are two wire but many are three wire and need the ground to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.